Question for those using Sanke kegs as fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyguy340

Reaction score
I've got two sanke kegs that I plan to start using soon as fermenters. My question is how do you guys acurately measure the quantity of wort inside the keg? or do you just take the measurement inside the boil kettle prior to transfer to keg. Thanks for any thoughts and ideas

I've etched lines into my brew pot that demarcate specific volumes so I know how much I'm pouring into my sanke fermenter.

Yep, measure your kettle or an object like your boil stirrer and then trust the amount going into the keg. It is just much easier this way, actually damn near impossible to measure in the keg unless you weigh it. I have fermented many Sanke's worth of beer even up to the 15.25 gallon mark, which conveniently is the same volume as my fully topped up boil kettle in my case.

I've got two sanke kegs that I plan to start using soon as fermenters. My question is how do you guys acurately measure the quantity of wort inside the keg? or do you just take the measurement inside the boil kettle prior to transfer to keg. Thanks for any thoughts and ideas

I use my BK sight tube to know the volume into the sanke.

Latest posts

Back