Advice with washed yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baptistbrewer

Reaction score
So I have some Wyeast British Ale, that I harvested from a brown ale a week ago. I want to make a porter and re-use the yeast. I have a last min. opportunity this morning to make the porter, but I wasn't able to make a starter.

Can I add the washed yeast without a starter, if so how much will it change the profile?

You *can* use it directly but the beer will be better if you pitch the appropriate amount of yeast. If you have already prepared the wort its probably better to pitch what you have than risk an infection. If you haven't made the wort yet, I'd make a starter and reschedule my brew day.

I really doubt that you would lose really any viability in a weeks time. Mrmalty.com will tell you how much of a slurry you need to pitch into your wort. I would let it warm up to room temp and pitch the appropriate amount of slurry + 10% for viability loss. My opinion of course. You really only need a starter to ensure viability and/or increase cell counts.

66 ml is about 2.25 ounces. 1 tablespoon is .5 ounces. I would say 3/4 of a cup would be good without over doing it. Of course, check my math. Its not my beer!

If it's a moderate gravity beer (1.040 - 1.060) you could probably get away with 3/4 - 1 cup of slurry, if it's been reasonably washed and clean. I do that regularly with London Ale III in my bitters or milds. Plenty of yeast.

Back