fresh apple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel17319

Reaction score
My mom and dad have a small orchard with 5 or appletrees. I got a guicer a d 1 10 gallon carbiy a d 1 5 gallone one. I'm going to make cider with no yeast I've heard that there are alot of wild heasts that live on apples. I'm going to make some airlocks with a hose into a small. Ucket of water and let it sit, but not sure how long?I'm going to bottle it when it tastes good very simple.

Any crituques did I miss anything please help if so. Should I add some honey I don't want it to sweet should I bottle or just Co edition and drink from the carbouy like a cask with no crbnation. Just trying to keep it simple guys but can do a little more if needed. This is the last of the apples andtnis his happening Thursday so i have to keep it simple but I want it good.

Thanks!

i think you need to read around the forum about making sweet cider- if you bottle when it tastes good and it still contains a lot of sugar it is going to keep fermenting in the bottle and those bottles are going to stop being bottles and start being high velocity pointy glass crystals. if you wait until it's done fermenting it's going to be very dry. you will need to inactivate the yeast somehow (cold, heat, chemicals) either during fermentation, or after fermentation is done at which point you can sweeten with sugar or juice
also, do you have really enormous thumbs or a really tiny iphone??

I'm 6"5 350 pounds and a little phone when should I bottle then also I was thinking about not bottling cause I don't want fizz. Do u think this plan will work I can bottle I have that capability. How do I activate th wild yeast?

I'm going a let it go wild in my carboys and bottle when it tastes good news more advice. I been reading alot but time is running low it has to be done this weekend.

if you are going to let the wild yeast go then just let it go. you don't need to do anything. then you have a while to decide what to do next while it ferments. wild ferments take time

i added yeast i got a 55 gallon trash can full of cider im going to let it it settle then condition in my carboys. i did 12 bushels got 4 more to go tomorow and im running out of space quickly. yeast is foaming nicely etc everying seems ok the whole kitchen smells like yeast.

Back