In - Out Valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85shadow

Reaction score
This is probably a common question. I have my keg disassembled and soaking right now. I labeled the IN parts and the OUT parts BUT the only thing different that I observed was the long out tube and the very short gas in tube. Are there other structural differences in the valves and/or the poppets? In other words, if I throw everthing in the tank for cleaning how do I identify the IN parts and the OUT parts? Thanks to all wo answer.

I don't know about the poppets, since I've used them interchangeably and never had an issue. As for the posts, the IN post will have a horizontal indentation around the base. The OUT post will not.

The two are structurally different in that the keg plug (post) for the gas inlet will only connect properly to the keg connector (disconnect) that attaches the keg to the gas cylinder, and the liquid "out" post will only connect properly to the keg connector (disconnect) that attaches the keg to the beer faucet.

Additionally, depending on the make of the keg you have, the base of the gas IN post may be 12-point while the liquid OUT post base will be hexagonal.

The easiest way, though, to tell the difference is the horizontal indentation around the base of the gas post.

It depends on the keg. As already mentioned the in post and outpost have different outside diameters. Some of them also have different size internal threading where it threads onto the keg itself. I have never seen the posts requiring different poppets but there are all sorts of crazy corny kegs out there.

The BIG thing is making sure you don't mix parts between different kegs. This is where you can get into trouble.

Back