Chill Haze Puzzle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Reaction score
I've been brewing about a year now and just finished EdWort's Haus Pal Ale. Hands down this is the best tasting brew I've made and all have been good. It's the reigning new number one on my list.

However, I did notice I have the infamous "chill haze" which is new for me. I hit my numbers right on and got a really good cold break so I don't know how this occurred. I'm preparing to make another batch and would like to avoid this minor annoyance.

Any ideas what I may be doing (or not) which would produce the chill haze? Yes, it's definitely chill haze. The brew at 50 degrees is crystal clear, at 45 it looks like a wheat beer.

You will always get this... If you want it to lessen, put your beer in the fridge up to a week prior to drinking. :mug:

You will always get this... If you want it to lessen, put your beer in the fridge up to a week prior to drinking. :mug:

Is this because of this specific brew or malt? I've never had this occur before.

I always put my beer in the fridge about a week before I drink it and I never get chill haze. But I have kegs so that makes it easy.

Chill haze is the result of a specific size range of proteins that combine with polyphenols and become insoluble at colder temperatures. If you're sure you have chill haze, then you must find the source of these proteins. If you can rule out inadequate coldbreak, you need to look at your malt type/brand (ideally, the malt analysis) and mash schedule. Some malts have protein profiles that would do well with certain protein-related rest temperatures in the mash to prevent chill haze.

What was your malt type/brand?

What was your malt type/brand?

This brew used 8 lbs of 2 row Pale Malt; 2 lbs of Vienna; and 0.5 lbs of Crystal 10... but I don't have a clue what brand since my LHBS doesn't identify this. Maybe that says enough right there.

Thanks for the sense of direction on this. Appreciate it.

Another way to eliminate it is to crash chill your beer to 32F and fine it. The chill haze material will precipitate out because it is now cold and the fining will remove it from your beer. I do this routinely on all my lagers and end up with a crystal clear beer when it is served.

GT

Another way to eliminate it is to crash chill your beer to 32F and fine it. The chill haze material will precipitate out because it is now cold and the fining will remove it from your beer. I do this routinely on all my lagers and end up with a crystal clear beer when it is served.

GT

Do you cold crash in the secondary a day or two after the normal process times out and add the fining before you rack to the bottling bucket? This doesn't interfere with priming for those of us who bottle carbonate?

Thanks,

Back