Game of Thrones S5, Beer Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've seen a scant few of these threads before but they all seem a few years old.

Rather than try my hand at necromancy, i thought i would just start a new one. With roughly three months till the start of Season 5, there's plenty of time to brew a multitude of different beer styles.

The question then becomes, for the faithful readers/watchers who brew, what to make to have ready for the Season Premiere? And for me, out of curiosity, what inspired that decision?

I myself am undecided at the moment and could use a little inspiration, inspire me. :rockin:

I have a strawberry rhubarb wheat ale in secondary, by time season 5 starts I should be able to open the first bottles of this. Didn't brew it "for" season 5, but now I can say I did.

mMm that makes me think of Strawberry Rhubarb Pie, an old favorite.

Do you have a recipe for that? it sounds pretty interesting, and i was toying around with the idea of doing a wheat beer to kick off Spring anyway.

To stay on topic, I suggest dedicating your Beer to ""House Tyrell" even if only in name. The Strawberry/Rhubarb and Wheat seems fitting for a beer from Highgarden.

I'll pm my recipe and notes since don't want to completely go off topic. Tyrell strawberry rhubarb ale or Highgarden Strawberry rhubarb Ale. Would be fun to put the Tyrell coat of arms on the label.

A quick lower gravity chewy oatmeal stout for a dark beer to drink in toast to the Nights Watch is always a good idea.

If making a GoT brew, why not necromancy? The dead rise all the time on that show. http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Wights

Also, why not a Gruit? For all we know, they don't have hops in Westeros. Greyjoy's Gruit would be just the ticket. Of course, it's expensive: you must pay the iron price.

Also:

White Walker IPA
Sansa's Cider
Stark's Stout (use less bottling sugar, so it can be poured without a head) *spoiler alert?*
John Snow Saisson
Marjorie's Milk Stout
Kingslayer Imperial Stout
Tyrion's Trippel
Reek's Rye
Winter Ale is Coming
Hodor's Hefeweizen

I left out Daenerys of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lady Regnant of the Seven Kingdoms, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, Mother of Dragons, and Protector of the Realm, because she bored me seasons 2-4. Otherwise, I would have done a dragon smoked porter that would have been out of this world.

Thanks Again ArkotRamathorn, i definetly say mock up a label with the Tyrell Coat of Arms, I intend to try making some cool labels for any of these GoT Beers once i get the recipes tuned in more.

Also Wolfbayte, thank you for the laughs! lol seriously by the time i got to the Stark Stout joke i nearly choked on what i was drinking. i really enjoy the names but i think id have trouble tying the characters to some of them.

And Greyjoy Gruit is and awesome name, but i dont think GRRM would create a world in which Hops didnt exist, he seems like a bit of a jolly old drunk to me, and i mean that endearingly. I mean the detail in which he describes the beers his characters get to drink makes my mouth water sometimes.

The direction i was gonna take it was to "Make the Eight" as His Grace Sir Robert Baratheon so less-then-eloquently put it. but i liked what you and Shuasha where thinking for a Targaryen/Valerian Themed beer.

So now im "Making the Nine"

EDIT 1/20/15
The Reach: Highgarden Strawberry/Rhubarb Wheat
The Vale: ??Harvest Ale??
The Riverlands: Too soon man, too soon.
The North: Big Chewy Oatmeal Stout(Perhaps Called Tyrions Breakfast)
The Iron Islands: Sea Salt Gose or Oyster Stout, ??Viking Inspired Braggot??
The Stormlands: ?Gotta be and ESB, in fact Heavy Seas Winter Storm comes to mind, Hmm we can tweak this one?
The Westerlands: ???
Dorne: Meyer Lemon, Lemon Bomb Hopped IPA or Blood Orange and Jalepeno Ipa
Valeria/Targaryen: Imperial(Read STRONG) Smoked Rye Porter("The Doom" has a nice ring to it, ty Shuasha)

This is looking like it could be turning into a year long Brew-periment So i'll edit this list as recipes get developed or change. And plenty of pictures/updates to follow if people stay interested.

The Reach: Highgarden Strawberry/Rhubarb Wheat
The Vale: ? Pulled this from the Song of Ices and Fire wiki - "Wheat, corn, and barley is grown in the Vale. Not even in Highgarden do the pumpkins grow any larger nor is the fruit any sweeter. House Waxley is known for producing scented candles in Wickenden. The candles can be scented with nutmeg and other costly spices. " So a pumpkin beer maybe? Though I personally wouldn't make a pumpkin beer myself so I would wish this on no man (unless you like pumpkin beers)
The Riverlands: ? Red Wedding Ale (too soon?)
The North: ? Big chewey Oatmeal Stout, go big on the oatmeal using some golden naked oats, flaked oats, and some 6-Row to make sure everything converts, maybe not 'big' in terms of ABV, but big in terms of mouth feel, if I lived in The North I would want a meal out of every pint of beer I drink.
The Iron Islands: (?Sea Salt Gose maybe?) - A seaweed beer, or an oyster stout would work as well (though getting crazy with the stouts/porters when The North definitely deserves a big stout, may not be the best idea) so Seaweed Irish Red, or a braggot to play up the viking themes of the Iron Islanders
The Stormlands: ? Maybe play up the English correlations (rainy climate as far as I am concerned means to me they were meant to be the "English" while the Tyrells and Highgarden would be the "French") So brown ales/ESB maybe
The Westerlands: ? Casterly Rock Golden Ale (poured directly from Tywin Lannisters bum)
Dorne: (?Big Citrus Ipa?) Maybe a blood orange IPA/Ruby Grapefruit. Don't know how you feel about pepper in IPAs but they do talk about how the Dornish love spicy food. (I've only ever had 1 pepper beer I really really liked and it was a homebrew from my clubs president, of which, I do have the recipe)
Valeria/Targaryen: Imperial Smoked Rye Porter(? "The Doom" has a nice ring to it, ty Shuasha) - Definitely good big on the "Doom" part, 11+% abv so when someone drinks it, they meet their "doom" and are drunk as hell.

I have actually been thinking of doing this for a while. I took clues and such from the books. Westeros does have hops, at least the reach does. Many of the beers sound like English styles to me. Also, they mention thick, black beers with alcohol content close to wine a lot. A lot of "bread crust" flavors and slightly oxidized.

I was going to reread the books and take notes on the beer discriptions but, that is whole 'nother level of nerd that I can't commit to.

I would just check out Ommegang's GoT beers.

Either way, I am really looking forward to season 5! I hear everyone dies this season.

The Reach: Highgarden Strawberry/Rhubarb
The Riverlands: ? Red Wedding Ale (too soon?)

...yes. yes it is :(

I think I posted this on another GoT thread, but it might be cool to do a beer dedicated to the 7, and use 7 different kinds of hops, one for each deity. I'm not sure what hop would suit which god (other than warrior) though...

Or take the easy way out and hop with warrior and dedicate it to...well just about anyone on the show :D

...yes. yes it is :(

I think I posted this on another GoT thread, but it might be cool to do a beer dedicated to the 7, and use 7 different kinds of hops, one for each deity. I'm not sure what hop would suit which god (other than warrior) though...

Or take the easy way out and hop with warrior and dedicate it to...well just about anyone on the show :D

This thread makes me feel like a collosal nerd...

Now for my ideas on The Faith of the Seven series. (basically they would all be SMaSH's because the individual incarnations of the faith represent usually a single facet of a society)

The Smith: An all Galena beer in the range of a American Pale Ale. Galena is the natural ore form of Lead Sulfide and an important source of silver.

The Mother: All Boadicea hops. Boudica (/ˈbuːdɨkə/; alternative spelling: Boudicca), also known as Boadicea /boʊdɨˈsiːə/, and known in Welsh as Buddug [ˈbɨ̞ðɨ̞ɡ][1] (d. AD 60 or 61) was queen of the British Iceni tribe, a Celtic tribe who led an uprising against the occupying forces of the Roman Empire. (too much typing, copied from Wikipedia)

The Warrior: All Warrior, as well you could go for UK Vanguard or German Herkules (Hercules, and, well, warriors will be in a vanguard of an army...)

The Father: UK Sovereign (the father, the sovereign... get it?)

The Crone: Often prayed to for guidance... So, maybe a Polaris beer? Polaris, The North Star... get it?

I'm spent I cant really find something to make some obscure reference to with the name of the hop for The Maiden and The Stranger.

Ramathorn! your so good at this haha, and quicker then me

Welcome to the thread Cheesy and Osedax!

Osedax if youve been thinking about it JOIN US! haha a fun little experiment to have done by april, ive had a slew of Belgians over the Summer/fall and despite ommegangs Delicious Brews ill have to rain check their GoT beers for a little bit, as im kind of Belgian/Saison/Funkyd out for the time being.

Cheesy, good to have you on the thread, ive definetly seen you around a lot of the post i peruse, as i said earlier Ramathorn is pretty quick on the draw, but i was also tossing around the idea of a SMaSH beer recipe hopped for The Seven, before i decided to go with the 9 different beers for each area/great houses.

But here was my List
The Maiden: Crystal(and important facet of the faith, and i thought the clarity and purity of a crystal reflected the maiden well)
The Mother: Sterling(Silver, Regal, the strongest and brightest of the three west coast hops listed for the Female Facets of the seven)
The Crone:Cascade(The Original(Read Oldest) West Coast Hop, And a maternal relative of both Sterling and Crystal)
The Smith: Galena(same reasons as above, thought it was funny we both hit on that one)
The Father: Zeus(Father of the Greek Pantheon, Easy one.)
The Warrior: Warrior(Obvious choice. But i mean come on cant beat that one.)
The Stranger: Mosaic, this is a crazy subtle complex hop ive only had in a few small batch beers at local brewerys but its always been a bit of a stranger to me when it comes time to describe it

Also ArkotRamathorn, really like the editions to the list, from now on ill just make edits to the orginal, and then that can be quoted for reference if anyone has any idea for one of the "Nine".

Itll take a good while to get all these beers done, so ill start thinking about brewing order so im drinking the style in season.

I'd stick to gruits, braggawds and meads with OGs above 1.100! Maybe a more exotic braggawd flavoured with rose petals could do in the hotter climates.

Brewing a Blind Beth Berliner Weisse and a Moon Door brett saison Saturday.

Osedax, edited it to include The Stranger dont know how i forgot "him/it"

JBOGAN and JKaranka welcome!

JBOGAN love the names, and i could see many a fine saison making its way from the farmsteads on the floor of The Vale, to the lords table at the top of the Eyrie. And i like to enjoy a good Berliner Weisse to cut through the fatty fried flavors in my fish and chips sometimes, so I could definitely see that drunk in some Smokey Bravosi Warfside Tavern.

Jkaranka Gruits are a little out of my wheel house, though ive considered it for one or two of the Great Houses Brews, And there will be at least one Braggawd(ive seen one million ways to spell this word) Im leaning towards the Lannisters, so the red gold hue from rose petals/hips mite be interesting

Bragawd here in Wales, Braggot in England. There are lots of words around here with barely any vowels, like gwdihw and crwys, so you get used to it. They are dead easy. I do add 8-15IBU of bittering hops, mainly because of the preservative effect and for some freshness. Honey into the fermenter (so you need a smaller grist anyway) and flavourings towards the end of the boil. Dry, aromatic, beautiful and clear. They make a great break from standard ales. If you mix some dark malts you get a beautiful see-through amber hue to it. Plus they end up crystal clear like wine.

The Iron Islands: (?Sea Salt Gose maybe?) - A seaweed beer, or an oyster stout would work as well (though getting crazy with the stouts/porters when

I really like the idea of an Iron Islands Sea Salt Gose..."The Kraken", "We Do Not Gose", "The Iron Price", or just "Iron Islands Sea Salt Gose"

Welcome Juno! love the names, They all make me want to do a different beer though.:confused:

"We Do Not Gose" may be the best Beer/GoT name crossover thingy ive ever heard.
Kraken makes me think of a Big Murky Black Baltic Porter.
And The Iron Price sounds like a nice dry, Blood Red Irish Ale.

Also JKaranka, That is awesome! Im pretty pumped to be hearing from someone from "across the pond' Do you have a good basic-ish recipe of one you like to make often, And if so would you mind posting it or PM'ing it to me?

Welcome ayrerperformance!

Any Ideas for one of the Brew Projects?(Make The Nine & The Seven(SMaSHs))

Or Do you have a GoT Inspired Beer you wanna brew and have ready by the Season 5 Release?

So now im "Making the Nine"
EDIT 1/25/15
Some of The areas have 2 beers listed,
In these instances I intend to make a session beer
in 5gal and something strong in 2.5g batch sizes

The Reach/House Tyrell
Highgarden: Strawberry/Rhubarb Wheat(Recipe courtesy of ArkotRamathorn)Brewed in March To Be Consumed(TBC) in April
Greenhands Graf: Imperial "Apple Ale" Brewed in April TBC in October

The Vale/House Arryn:
The Falcon And The Moon: A Traditional Braggawd, Recipe Courtesy of JKaranka Brewed in June TBC Year Round
Good Harvest: Pumkin Ale Brewed in August TBC all Fall

Riverlands/House Tully/House Baelish:
Fishermans Delight: American Light Ale low ABV, Perfect for a lazy day with a Line in the Trident Brewed in May TBC All Summer(which can last like 10 years in GRRM'S World now that i think about it)

The North/House Stark:
Northern Breakfast: Heavy Bodied Oatmeal Stout. I wanna go around 7%Abv not exactly Imperial Strength, but it should warm you up Brewed in June TBC December
Snow/Ghost: Blonde Stout(i have to brew one as they intrigue me, and it felt right to name it for either Snow or Ghost(a misfit style for misfits), and Thus claiming it for the Free North) Brewed in September TBC Year round

The Iron Islands/House Greyjoy:
We do not Gose!(Name Courtesy of Juno Malone): Sea Salt Gose The reasoning for this one is apparent, i imagine this would be made by the Damphair and his Disciples, almost like the Abbey Ales the old Monks made, Brewed in July TBC In August

Stormlands/House Baratheon:
Fury of The Storm: ESB(or Perhaps ASB(American Special Bitter) Brewed in May TBC All Summer, i Love the style And Arkot really helped tie it in for me, as the beer of the Stormlands

Westerlands/House Lannister:
Lannister Gold: A Session Braggawd, or at least my first attempt to create such a thing. Brewed in February TBC all Spring

Dorne/House Martel:
The Red Sands of Dorne: Blood Orange & Jalapeno DIPA Brewed in June TBC in August
Lemonwood: German Radler Inspired Golden Ale Brewed in May TBC all Summer

Valeria/House Targaryen:
The Doom(Name Courtesy of Shuasa) Smoked and Oaked, Rye Imperial Porter, Brewed In December TBC The Following Winter
WildFire: Hot Pepper Session Ipa. Brewed in June TBC in June

This is A year long experiment. The recipes will be posted as there brewdate approaches. Currently Working on: Lannister Gold

Sorry for the long downtime, Things have been crazy busy lately, the first recipe i'm brewing in the "Make the Nine" series is Called Lannister Gold.

I wanted to make a cold break beer to change the pace from all the hearty winter brews i've been enjoying.

As i formulate the recipes i'll add them in a post so i can update as it develops.

If anyone else wants to join in Your recipes can be added! I think it would be interesting in helping to represent the myriad of brewers in the various areas.(As each Tavern seems to brew their own beer, and we've had no specific reference to large scale beer production, like Wine/Cider is in The Reach.)

Lannister Gold

Malts/Sugars:
3lbs Honey
2lbs American Rye
1.75lbs American Red Wheat
2lbs American Vienna
6oz Crystal 60
6oz Honey Malt

Hops
1oz Cascade @ 60 mins
1oz Cascade @ 10 mins

Other:
Irish Moss @ 15 mins

Yeast:
US-05

Details/Pictures to Follow on Brew Day:D

I have been keeping a picture log of my strawberry rhubarb wheat ale(including a time lapse video of me transferring the beer on top of the fruit). Because of the recipe being in its first iteration I have pm'd the recipe to Viktor. Once I try the first bottle I will update my notes and post the recipe with pictures, so far most of my notes are conjecture about the final product. Viktor and I agree that 6lbs is A LOT of rhubarb in 5 gallons, you'll get a nice sour twang with p rob ably half that (credit Viktor with this).

Thank You Cheesy_Goodness, I intend to see this one to the bitter end(see what i did there).

ArkotRamathorn, Honestly with all the time and effort you've already invested, i mite postpone my brewing of this project to early in the summer(ill be able to more easily acquire the strawberry's and rhubarb as well) then i can i just re post my results then. From the color to the bright fruity & sour taste i'm anticipating, It sounded like the perfect Beer of The Reach, and a Great Summer Thirst Quencher.

sww35
I've never actually been on rebel brewer before, but if you a trying your hand at that recipe you should post you results/some pics! Or add a signature ingredient and dedicate it to a Great House/Region.

:mug:
Cheers all.
I should be doing the Lannister Gold
Brew Day, in the next 1 to 2 weeks. More to follow

This is awesome. I love the show and what you are doing here. My first batch is still fermenting so I don't think I will be able to help contribute much to building recipes but would love to taste them!

I am really looking forward to hearing about all the beers but especially the wildfire and the red sands of dorne.

I hope to at least make some of these before the end off season 5!

After 4 weeks in the bottle, longest I've ever been able resist 'sampling' a beer, the strawberry rhubarb wheat ale is finish. I posted the recipe in the recipes section for fruit beers. Since I am extremely long winded I didn't want to post it here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f75/strawberry-rhubarb-wheat-ale-519187/

Excellent beer and it's definitely got that reddish burnt orange color, fantastic, sour, jammy, ever so slightly malty, crisp carbonation, very slightly hazy. I'm making it again this summer.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but this series of beers by Ommegang Breweries is all GoT related:

http://www.ommegang.com/got/three_eyed_raven.php

The one directly linked is available in my local liquor store but I haven't tried it yet. I did try the Iron Throne Blonde Ale and it was pretty great.

Just throwing the link out there for inspiration.

Back