Just brewed my first batch last night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mofiddlin

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who's a part of this site. Very helpful and encouraging.

I just brewed my first batch of pale ale and I have two questions.

1. Is the 2in light/cream colored area in the bottom of my carboy a sign of fermentation even if there are no apparent bubbles in the air lock?
2. My kit had hop pellets. When I put the wort into the carboy for fermentation I had the strainer in the funnel. After putting about a gallon of wort into the funnel it clogged and became apparent that it would take forever so I gave up straining and just poured everything into the carboy. Was that a mistake not to strain the wort? Should I strain when I rack the liquid for stage two?

Thanks,

1) the layering in the fermenter/change in color is the trub settling, not a sign of fermentation
2) ahh, memories! I hit the same problem on my first few batches way back wehn. I would use a spoon to scrape the filter while pooring and eventually it would all get strained (and my back would be sore from bending over while balancing 3gal of wort in one hand and a spoon in the other). I'm now using hop bags - compromise is you get less utilization, but the transfer is no longer an issue. And, while it is best to filter the hops out going into the primary, you should be ok. But, you should definitely do a secondary fermentation - and, when racking to the secondary, be sure you don't siphon the trub that's settled on the bottom.

Congratulations on your first batch!! I wouldn't worry about not screening out the hops when you transferred to the primary. In the end, I'm sure you'll have some good beer on your hands (and hopefully in your glass too lol).

I don't filter out the hops sludge when I pour into the primary, unless it's convenient to do so. I generally just cool the wort, and pour it all in. If there are leaf hops, they are pretty easy to strain out in a colander. It doesn't matter- it'll all compact to the bottom of the fermenter anyway.

Latest posts

Back