Bittering hops questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eves

Reaction score
When it comes to using hops for bittering purposes does it really matter what hops you use as long as the IBUs end up about the same?

What I am really asking is would there be a difference in a beer that used 2+ ounces of cascade for bittering (60 min boil) say 1 ounce of warrior hops for bittering (60 min boil)? Assume that aroma and flavoring hops would be the same for either bittering hop used.

The bitterness and taste differs depending on the hop, but you can get subsitutes that are pretty similar. I subsitute hops for what my LHBS has frequently with good results. There are plenty of sources where you can find guidance as to what is a similar hop. Such as: Homebrewing Recipes and Articles

Bittering hops are the most flexible in terms of substitutions. Aroma and flavor are essentially boiled away with boil times in excess of 45 (+/-) minutes.

Most people will use a higher alpha for bittering because they can do their job in lower quantities.

Bittering hops are the most flexible in terms of substitutions. Aroma and flavor are essentially boiled away with boil times in excess of 45 (+/-) minutes.

Most people will use a higher alpha for bittering because they can do their job in lower quantities.

Thats the answer I was expecting. Thanks

I did just a recipe that called for Northern Brewers for the bittering. Since those were unavailable at the LHBS I just substitute something with similar AA%.

Some flavor will follow through even from bittering hops. To what degree (how much is noticeable) depends on how much and what type is used, other hop additions, boil time, beer style, etc. This is especially true for beers that only have bittering hop additions. Although, it's pretty minimal. But, for instance, I wouldn't substitute EKG for a German noble hop in a Helles.

The main difference for bittering is the Cohumlone percentage. This alpha acid is perceived as harsh by many people. The range is 14% (Vangard) of the AA total to as much as 55% (Talisman). Cascade is in the mid-30s.

Back