Keggle Crackdown???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seabee John

Swing the BIG hammer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just was wondering if this was the start of a keggle crackdown. Ebay is now banning the listing of identifiable kegs on their website. I know that this topic has been and will continue to be a big conversation here. I'm still not sure where I come down on the issue. I own a keggle that I purchased off craigs list from another home brewer. It was badly dented and already modified for boils. I used this as rationalization for the purchase. I don't know where to draw the line. I would just advise folks to check up on things and make sure it's not stolen property. Looks like the breweries may be watching these websites for their property. Good luck!

ebay said:
Thank you for your bid on the following auction-style listing:

Title: 15.5 Gallon Anheuser-Busch Beer Keg

Unfortunately, eBay has removed this auction-style listing. All bids or offers on this listing have been canceled. Because the listing was ended, you no longer have any obligation to purchase this item.

Listings are removed for different reasons. For example:
- The way the item was listed may violate eBay policy.
- The sale of the item may be prohibited by eBay.
- The sale of the item may be prohibited by law.
- The removal may be part of a separate action taken by eBay that is unrelated to the listing itself.

We hope you understand that, due to privacy concerns, we're unable to discuss the details of why this listing was ended. However, please note that the removal of this listing does not suggest that this seller's standing in the eBay Community has been called into question.

For more information on why eBay may remove a listing, please go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/listing-ended.html

For information on how you can protect yourself and help ensure a positive buying experience in the future, visit:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/buyer_checklist.html

We're sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

eBay Trust & Safety

Thats what it sounds like John, its either that its marked Anhueser-Busch, or the fact that the title makes it sound like they are selling a 15.5 gallon keg of beer.

At the distributor I work for, we are raising the deposit for kegs from $10 to $30 dollars. This is just after we did a keg audit (to find out where our outstanding kegs are.) This might have something to do with it. I can't, however, say if this is nationwide or locally. This might have something to do with the "crackdown."
Just a thought.

mr_stimey said:
Haha I didnt mean to correct but I thought I would catch it before this became an endless ethics thread.:cross:

Thanks Tony,
Yea... I was a non buying bidder. I set my max bid so low that on the off chance I did win, it'd be a deal I couldn't refuse. 99.9% of the time I'm outbid within hours. But hey I get a chance right?

Question. If i pay the deposit on a keg take it home and have my way with it would that be unethical? hope i don't open too big a can of worms.:D
john

weasle708 said:
Question. If i pay the deposit on a keg take it home and have my way with it would that be unethical? hope i don't open too big a can of worms.:D
john

Oh Sh#t here it comes.

I have one question to ask you. Do you think your deposit covers the price of the metal it takes to make that keg?

Warped04 said:
I remember reading somethign on this. Interestingly it wasn't because of keggle creations, but because the scap metal prices were more than the deposits.

True. In Michigan the keg deposit was $10 now it's $35 the scrap yard will give you $50.

I didn't mean for it to go this way... really I just saw something on ebay that's it....

Here's the ANSWER: if you have to ask, the answer is the one you don't want to hear.

sorry i did not mean to stur the hornet nest of the keg debate. I was just wanted to find out what people think about using a rented keg to convert into a keggel or as a long term storage. not paying $30 dollars to get one only to sell it to the scrap yard for a $20 profit. That to me is as bad as the people that sit and wait untill the end of and auction on Ebay to place a bid. those people make me mad . :mug:

weasle708 said:
That to me is as bad as the people that sit and wait untill the end of and auction on Ebay to place a bid. those people make me mad . :mug:

They do that so they won't get outbid or have to pay extra for an item. If they were to outbid you and then you were to come back and outbid them, they just increased the cost of the item unnecessarily. If you are continually outbid you should re-consider how you value something, or take up the practice of bidding late in the auction. To the man with the fastest internet connection go the spoils.

I work second shift an am unable to check my bids. most of the bids end in the evening. that is the fun of an auction. if i wasn't so cheep i would pay full price for the things i want. but I am what I am.:D

Donasay said:
They do that so they won't get outbid or have to pay extra for an item. If they were to outbid you and then you were to come back and outbid them, they just increased the cost of the item unnecessarily. If you are continually outbid you should re-consider how you value something, or take up the practice of bidding late in the auction. To the man with the fastest internet connection go the spoils.

I agree.

The whole idea behind an auction is to get people excited so they will pay more than they intended.

People that wait until near the end of an auction have every right to do so. The highest bidder still gets the item regardless of when the bid was placed. And if the bids are equal then the 1st bidder gets it.

weasle708 said:
I work second shift an am unable to check my bids. most of the bids end in the evening.
The eBay golden rules:

1 - Bid just once.
2 - Bid last.
3 - Bid as much as you are willing to pay, and no more! Odds are good you'll get it for less.

Above all, don't succumb to auction fever and bid higher. If you can't get an item at YOUR price, it's not a good deal.

You don't have to be in front of your computer either. This is a nice little free program that will do your bidding for you.

JBidWatcher

BlindLemonLars said:
The eBay golden rules:

1 - Bid just once.
2 - Bid last.
3 - Bid as much as you are willing to pay, and no more! Odds are good you'll get it for less.

Some people argue it's "dishonest" but I don't think so... After all, eBay isn't REALLY an auction. It's also totally legit by eBay - http://www.auctionsniper.com/

If you know what you're willing to pay absolutely, snipe the auction.

Kevin Dean said:
Some people argue it's "dishonest" but I don't think so... After all, eBay isn't REALLY an auction. It's also totally legit by eBay - http://www.auctionsniper.com/

If you know what you're willing to pay absolutely, snipe the auction.

I use e-snipe for all e-bay bids. nothing worse then losing an item for $.50 more than your max bid. With e-snipe, your max bid goes in with 6 seconds left.

Works great

Linc

Back