Buildin a second, smaller set-up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I am going to build a smaller set-up so I can brew 6 gallon batches. My other system is great for group or big batch brews, but I am thinking a system that would let me crank out small batches would be nice. I could brew more, experiement more and have more varieties on tap at any one time.

I have a smaller steam kettle, like my big guys but 20 gallon max capacity. It could crank out a little 6 gallon batch without a worry.

DecoctionCerealCooker.jpg

I will need a new mash tun, but that will be simple. I have a 7 gallon SS pot that I could convert fairly easily. I am thinking of turning it into a Mash/lauter Tun that will also function as a whirlpool/chiller.

Thoughts and comments?

That's pretty much what I have in mind as well, Brewpastor. I have the large pots for outdoor 10 gallon batches but I'd like to limit it to 5 gallons if I do it indoors or outdoors in the winter. I'm thinking I could use the same braid for my 54 quart MLT as for a smaller one. I suppose the ball lock valves could be reused as well. As long as we're talking time frames in month's duration the switch wouldn't be too big a pain.

Where you are you don't have to be too concerned with freezing so I would imagine that you could use most, if not all, of your existing equipment. Can't you just do smaller boils in your large pots?

Fingers Where you are you don't have to be too concerned with freezing so I would imagine that you could use most said:
It is just too big and the boil off is huge. It also needs more fuel to fire up then I want to expend on a small batch.

Back