RECIPE HELP: Caramel malts in sweet stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MakeshiftBrew

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm designing a recipe for a sweet stout. I wan't to attempt to use every caramel malt in some portion, 10 degree through 120. I was wondering what thoughts anyone had on this idea. My aim is to impart a wide range of balanced caramel malt flavor. Any help or ideas on how many ounces of each crystal malt to use would be great, as well if I decide NOT to do this does anyone know which crystal malt would impart the best "caramel" flavor for my stout? I was also considering adding a small portion of honey malt, as an experiment, along with a dark malt such as carafa II for color/aroma/flavor. Thanks.

Hello everyone, I'm designing a recipe for a sweet stout. I wan't to attempt to use every caramel malt in some portion, 10 degree through 120. I was wondering what thoughts anyone had on this idea. My aim is to impart a wide range of balanced caramel malt flavor. Any help or ideas on how many ounces of each crystal malt to use would be great, as well if I decide NOT to do this does anyone know which crystal malt would impart the best "caramel" flavor for my stout? I was also considering adding a small portion of honey malt, as an experiment, along with a dark malt such as carafa II for color/aroma/flavor. Thanks.

I think you should not do all of this. The reasoning is that you won't be able to tell what u like and don't like about it or how to change it to make it better, because it's too busy. I would go with some C40 or C60 for your caramel flavor...along with the roasted barley and black patent for color/flavor.

Sorry about the awkward wording of the first 2 sentences...I've been partaking this evening.

Well I've used caramel malt times before, I want to get a good roasted caramel character. I guess I just don't know which crystal would lend itself best to what i'm aiming for, I want this stout to be unique, but I see what you're saying about the confusion that would occur if I used them all. What are thoughts on C120? I've heard it can get acrid in anymore than about 0.5lb?

Well I've used caramel malt times before, I want to get a good roasted caramel character. I guess I just don't know which crystal would lend itself best to what i'm aiming for, I want this stout to be unique, but I see what you're saying about the confusion that would occur if I used them all. What are thoughts on C120? I've heard it can get acrid in anymore than about 0.5lb?

That's not true. I just brewed an AB Clone attempt using 1.5lbs of C120 and .5lbs. of Special B. Not acrid at all. It's very tasty!

That's not true. I just brewed an AB Clone attempt using 1.5lbs of C120 and .5lbs. of Special B. Not acrid at all. It's very tasty!

It's never acrid. It's raisiny and toffee-like. I use it in my Arrogant Bastard clone also and also in my Red Rocket clone, my chinook IPA, a rye beer and a stout. It's totally different than a lighter crystal like 20L. It's got a burnt sugar thing going for it- like toffee- and it's not too sweet.

Thanks for the experiential wisdom, I've decided to use some C120 and C60, I think I'll get a nice balance.

Back