kegging cerveza tonight. add tequila?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
so i brewed AHS gold seal cerveza a couple weeks ago. tonight i am going to throw it into the keg.

it was a simple extract kit.

5# pale extract
1-oz tradition hops
and the AHS beer kit for this particular brew included corn sugar, dme and somerthing else. i cant remember what it was.

it tastes ok, but i figured i wanted to kick it up a little.

i have half a bottle of tequila sitting here, and some lime juice. should i put some in. or just keg it as is, and add it to the glass so i dont screw anything up?

if i were to add lime, would lime juice work, or do i need extract?

I can't really advise on the tequila, as I won't touch the stuff anymore.

As far as the lime juice goes I'd avoid it. Ad it in the glass. It'll ferment out and just leave a sour taste.

good call. i'll wait till the glass for the lime. how do i get a lime flavor in the future if i wanted to without having to add it in the glass?

good call. i'll wait till the glass for the lime. how do i get a lime flavor in the future if i wanted to without having to add it in the glass?

I've never done it, but extract seems like it would be workable for this kind of thing. You could try a bit of lime juice in a few bottles and see if you like it, but I think it'll be quite sour.

The % of alcohol in the tequila is much higher than what's in your beer, I don't know for sure but I suspect the tequila will separate out and someone will end up pulling a glass of tequila off the keg :)

-kap

The % of alcohol in the tequila is much higher than what's in your beer, I don't know for sure but I suspect the tequila will separate out and someone will end up pulling a glass of tequila off the keg :)

-kap

I know that plenty of people have added bourbon to stouts and scotch to scotch ales. They do have different densities but they blend. It isn't like oil and water.

Naw, the tequila will go into solution and dissolve evenly into the entire beer.

has anyone tried it? should i?

I would pull off say a pint and add tequila in small amounts until you think it tastes good. Then, when you think you found the right blend, add a bit less than that.

As for the lime juice, I've never used it. If you add it at the time of kegging, it won't ferment out (the beer is already fermented) and if that's something you like, you could do it.

Remember though, once you add something you can't take it out.

for this one i'll try different stuff when i pour a glass, then i can try a bunch of different combos and see what works best

Back