What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I got my yeast starter ready, today I kegged 2 beers, put one of them in my lagering fridge and put the other on tap, kicked a keg, made preparations to brew, spent a couple hours my brew clubs big brew day event, brewed my 2nd crack at a NEIPA. Going to clean the kicked keg and line tomorrow.

Brewing a 10 gal IPL at my friends house and we are splitting the wort and doing two different hop profiles.
20190505_122359.jpeg

Since my job (high school teacher) hasn’t allowed me a brew day since January 2, decided to go sort of halfway on it.

Brewed up 1gallon of LDME in order to capture the dregs from:
1, a couple of bottles of Duvel Tripel Hop Citra
2, a bottle of Duchesse de Bourgogne Flemish Red
3, a bottle of Panil Barriquee, an Italian sour
and
4, a bottle of Roen Pale Ale, an unfiltered organic PA from Italy

We shall see what grows.

And...

Tasted my two aging sours. Both are swabs and fruit samples from various places in the respective cities:

Torrance, CA tastes nicely sour, could be more tart, but it’s nice.

Burbank, CA still tastes likes baby diaper. Could be Walt Disney's fault, not sure.

And received 3 oz of Cryo hops I *had* to buy to make up the $25 minimum free ship order for SWMBO’s stuff, wink wink nudge nudge know what I mean?

Trimmed back the bull shoots in the “hop yard” and planted some cascade rhizomes.

Because our winter was so cold and wet, my hops are only between 1-4” so far in SoCal. When you say you trim the bull shoots, what do you mean, exactly? Mine are putting out more shoots than last year (year one), so if I need to do something to increase yields this year, please enlighten me.

Bull shoots simply refers to the first shoots. They tend to be long, big and hollow. Trimming them back encourages stronger and more compact growth. If you have shoots trimmed to keep just two to three bines growing more of the plant’s energy goes into the cones increasing the harvest.

Well because I'm a slacker I did not get to brewing over the weekend but did:

Whip up a 5gallon batch of hard limeaide.

Start a tincture for my Sour Pineapple Shake (vanilla beans, 1oz tangerine peel, 500ml vodka). And add pineapple puree to the ferment.

There's always this Saturday for brewing.

well...i just got done scrubing the toilet, but that's not what you guys want to hear about! :)

they also were out of whole barley at the feed store, so i picked a bag of whole wheat to make different roasted wheat crystal malts with, to see how they work out....

i should have posted this picture to get the toilet out of your head....this is how i do small batches of malt for crystals, just soak for a few hours then close the lid and put it on it's side to drain then open it up to breath, 10 min soak every day there after till proper acrospire...

100_0567.JPG

(this is how i also make use of both bathtubs at the same time)

Bottled a case of an azacca hopped pale ale and ten bottles of an English hopped ale. Both sampled well. Azacca is one of my favorites. Mmm. Hoping to brew and refill a fermenter or two later this week!

Since my job (high school teacher) hasn’t allowed me a brew day since January 2, decided to go sort of halfway on it.

Brewed up 1gallon of LDME in order to capture the dregs from:
1, a couple of bottles of Duvel Tripel Hop Citra
2, a bottle of Duchesse de Bourgogne Flemish Red
3, a bottle of Panil Barriquee, an Italian sour
and
4, a bottle of Roen Pale Ale, an unfiltered organic PA from Italy

We shall see what grows.

And...

Tasted my two aging sours. Both are swabs and fruit samples from various places in the respective cities:

Torrance, CA tastes nicely sour, could be more tart, but it’s nice.

Burbank, CA still tastes likes baby diaper. Could be Walt Disney's fault, not sure.

And received 3 oz of Cryo hops I *had* to buy to make up the $25 minimum free ship order for SWMBO’s stuff, wink wink nudge nudge know what I mean?
At some point I plan to try to harvest some wild yeast from the channel islands. I think I've missed the opportunity for this year though.

Rubbing my palms together going eeexxxxxellentttttt...

Just found out I'll be getting a fairly sizeable surprise tax return at the start of july so immediately started looking at brew rigs salivating... Got a bead on a 40L Brewster Beacon or a Bullet Brew 45. The mere thought of getting two fermenters on one go is giving me a halfsie :D

Not today but last night, new sight glass for keggle arrived. And then discovered the two holes already drilled in my keggle were too big for the weldless fitting, so two trips (yes two, because dumba** me forgot the 1/4" brass nipple I needed, thank ninkasi it's only 5 minutes away) to HD later and now it's all set up and ready to go for the next brewday...which won't be until next payday because out of grain (sad face). But have plenty to do in the meantime what with kegging an IPA, dismantling the ball valve in the mash tun and cleaning that out, and moving the way-too-fast-growing hops to their new home in the now-fixed-fenced backyard. Oh, and drinking my homebrew.

Bottled my Ale-luia American Amber Ale. FG 1.009 for a 4.8 ABV, nice and dark golden brown and probably my clearest beer yet. Clean finish with just slight hints of hoppiness from the late-add Saaz... can't wait to taste it carbonated! Got 28 x 22 oz bottles, and probably could have had one more, but I didn't want to transfer any yeast rafts into the bottling bucket.

Washed and sanitized siphon and one fermentor to be used as a bottling bucket, did the the priming sugar solution which is cooling right now, still got the bottles to sanitize but luckily those have been washed and stored capped. When I get the meerkats to bed gonna hit the garage for a bottling session. After that got a sink full of bottles to rinse after soaking in chlorine, and once that is done gonna put the next batch of dirties to soak.

Back