Look at what I did! I'm Dumb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyHeck

Reaction score
Ok before I begin yes this was very stupid.

Ok now that that is out of the way here is what I did. Last week I brewed a scotch ale when doing so I didn’t print off the recipe. I’m so good I can do everything from memory! Not at all I forgot 2lbs of DLME. When I figured it out I think no big deal I will put it in the milk stout that I was set to brew this weekend. For both the scotch and the stout I was using the same yeast Wyeast labs #1728. My wife being a chemist thought the stir plate was great (I am Lucky) so the scotch ale was the first to use a starter on. I was very worried since the scotch was supposed to be high gravity and I was using more yeast than before I rigged up a blow off tube. Well the action was very boring no need for the tube. Now I tell you all of this mundane stuff to explain how I set myself up for this weekend.

This weekend:
I get my starter going on my stir plate. Then I log on to home brewing forums and start reading about racking onto a yeast cake. I decide I am going to reuse the cake not thinking about the starter I have going. Rack the scotch from primary into secondary. So being in a haze and not thinking I go brew the stout which ends up being pretty high SG measured at 1.062 and rack it onto the cake. That’s when is see it, the starter. Figuring most of the time home brewers don’t pitch enough yeast I dumped it in. Dumb action number 1. Then I finished putting the top on and put the airlock in. Dumb action number 2. So I was worried last weekend but didn’t even think about it this weekend. Well I checked on the primary just before I went to bed and didn’t see any action in the airlock. Well the explosion at 300 am sure let us know that it had begun. I say us, but my wife heard it. I wouldn’t hear a freight train running by the bed. She woke me up shaking me saying something like “did you hear that what the @#$#@ was that”. After the dogs settled down I put the gun back on the nightstand and passed out. She went and found a mess. So she spent two hours cleaning it up and put the primary into the tub with a blow off tube on it this time. She couldn’t clean the ceiling (she’s a little short and just had ankle surgery) see pictures below. It looks like it is a good thing she put a blow off tube on it. We may have had bomb number two in there. We had a thermometer sitting on top of the primary that we can’t find. I’m a little worried about it.

Things I know:
1. My wife is a saint, I am very lucky.
2. I will never use this much yeast again.
3. I will always use a blow off tube for the primary no matter what.

Things I need help with:
1. Is this too much yeast? From reading other forums I see different opinions but I am leaning towards yes?
2. Can I save this batch? Maybe rack it to secondary tomorrow? When I say save it I mean from save it from the yeasty taste. I’m not pouring anything until it’s done and still gross(yeasty).

766530881_yQhaW-M.jpg

766530787_fjdLi-M.jpg

Wow, good lesson learned eh?

You're very lucky to have a wife like that! She cleaned up the mess AND fixed it all up for you with the blowoff tube? You better take her out to dinner or something!

My wife would have physically yanked me out of bed and dragged me down the stairs, before announcing an end to all brewing in this house. haha...

My lady doesn't mind the brewing but there is no way n hell she would clean up the mess.
Your next beer is in her style named after her.

My wife would have physically yanked me out of bed and dragged me down the stairs, before announcing an end to all brewing in this house. haha...
Yes she is awsome. She would never say no more the two beers on tap are ones we made for her, english brown and ESB. I am very suprised she let me sleep through it. Oh ya I have to brag some more, she made breakfast this morning while I finished cleaning.
I bet that beer is gonna taste awesome after so much trouble!
I am worried about this part. Ive seen mixed thoughts on this one.

I've heard this "too much yeast" thing a lot recently, can't figure out why. Seems to me that something was obstructing the flow through the bottom of the airlock.

You might notice a little "yeast bite" in the finished product, but you didn't ruin your beer. There's an equal chance it will turn out perfectly delicious. The higher OG is probably the cause of the explosion, not the extra yeast. I use an airlock on anything under 1.060, and only put on a blow-off tube for the higher OG or high protein brews (hefe, oatmeal stout, etc.)

I've heard this "too much yeast" thing a lot recently, can't figure out why. Seems to me that something was obstructing the flow through the bottom of the airlock.

I'm sure that something did block the airlock it was very filled with krausen I should have been more clear about my question. The stupid thing number one is I didn't use a blow off tube. Stupid thing number two I used too much yeast. I am worried about yeasty taste.

You might notice a little "yeast bite" in the finished product, but you didn't ruin your beer. There's an equal chance it will turn out perfectly delicious. The higher OG is probably the cause of the explosion, not the extra yeast. I use an airlock on anything under 1.060, and only put on a blow-off tube for the higher OG or high protein brews (hefe, oatmeal stout, etc.)

Thanks is there anything that I can do to help it should I rack it early?

We had a thermometer sitting on top of the primary that we can’t find. I’m a little worried about it.

So this was driving me nuts. I searched the entire bathroom top to bottom so did the wife and we couldnt figure it out. I had just opened up a bottle of Corendunk Christmas and it hit me the only place it could be was in the primary! It was sitting on the lid before I went to bed, I like to keep track of fermentation temps. I was and luckly it wasnt broken. It is amazing that it wound up in there it isnt a small one. I hope this lesson stops soon I already feel dumb enough for this.
766654594_QQYnr-M.jpg

Thanks is there anything that I can do to help it should I rack it early?

Let it finish up. The beer should be fine, even with such a large yeast pitch. Yes, you overpitched by probably not by a lot and the beer will be fine. I'd be more concerned about the unsanitized thermometer in there, but it's too late now to worry about it. Hopefully it was pretty clean before it ended up in the primary!

Wait about 10 days to 2 weeks to allow the yeast to clean up any yeast byproducts. I wonder if a vigorous fermentation like that got hot inside, so you may have some off-flavors (like fusels) from a warm fermentation temperature.

Still, don't worry about it yet. I'm betting it'll be fine.

Let it finish up. The beer should be fine, even with such a large yeast pitch. Yes, you overpitched by probably not by a lot and the beer will be fine. I'd be more concerned about the unsanitized thermometer in there, but it's too late now to worry about it. Hopefully it was pretty clean before it ended up in the primary!

Wait about 10 days to 2 weeks to allow the yeast to clean up any yeast byproducts. I wonder if a vigorous fermentation like that got hot inside, so you may have some off-flavors (like fusels) from a warm fermentation temperature.

Still, don't worry about it yet. I'm betting it'll be fine.

Thanks YooperBrew for the help with the yeast. I too am worried about the thought of infection. I still can't believe that the lid lifted in a perfect way that the thermometer could lift and come down in the brew. What do you guys think if it turns out ok I think it should be named lid lifter or something like that.

I just started my first batch of beer this weekend, and you have me nervous now. In general am I going to be safe with just an airlock in my primary (6.5 gal plastic bucket)? BTW, great photos. Did the ceiling clean up ok?

Back