Why not? Chinese yeast cider.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
So, I wanted to try the rice wine recipe that I saw on the site but I couldn't find the Chinese yeast balls anywhere in town. I asked my mom if she wouldn't mind looking for some at the Asian markets up where she lives and if she could pick up a couple packs for me. I was just expecting a couple of the small packages with the two yeast balls, but she brought me back two larger packs with several of these little yeast balls in them. I'm excited about the rice wine, but I don't see myself making that much. So, I thought I mix a pack up with some apple juice and see what happens. Any ideas on how his turns out?

image.jpg

Good. I tried the rice wine. Not a fan. I have extra yeast. Looking forward to see how it turns out. OT, I am a huge fan of Graff. Cider with a touch of malt and hops.

The couple of graffs I've made I really liked. I'll keep you posted on this, and I'll let you know if it's a good way to use up those yeast balls.

So, it took about 5 days to see any activity. It's starting to go now. I'll be interstes to see what it tastes like.

The riceballs have a fungus in them that breaks down the starch of the rice into sugars the yeast can use, you probably dont have much starch in your juice so that part of the riceballs wont be of any benefit, but who knows what the yeast part will do. Surprised it took so long to get started up. WVMJ

I was surprised it took so long too. Thanks for the info about the fungus. I figured there was something like that going on with it. I just added a couple packs to a large batch of oatmeal just to see what happens.

This is what the oatmeal looks like so far. It's doing pretty good. I was thinking about making a thread for it if it turns out good. The cider is still going too.

image.jpg

Alright, the cider is done and it's very ... Meh....
I didn't expect anything great, but this is pretty boring stuff. It's still drinkable, so I'll drink it, but I wouldn't waste anymore yeast balls on it. The oatmeal wine, however, appears to be doing good. It smells really strong.

Latest posts

Back