2 recipe questions: red ale and dark wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderThePorchBrewing

Reaction score
Have the Northern Brewer AG Irish red kit and due to some scheduling problems had to raid this for it's EKG to brew a porter this past Sunday now the replacements did not yet come in and I have to brew this today. Kit is 2-row, Dingemans Caramel Pils, Special Roast, Biscuit and Chocolate, 1 oz Willamette @ 60 for bittering and 1 oz EKG @ 30. I have approx .3 oz of the EKG, any suggestions for substitutions for the rest? I have on hand Fuggle, northern brewer, spalt, cascade, Hallertau.

also have 6 lbs of Wheat LME sitting for a while and want to make a darker wheat can be anywhere from 2.5 to 5 Gal any suggestions for a dunkleweizen or weizenbock to use it up?

Thanks,
Ben

You can sub the fuggles for the EKG, just make sure the check the AAUs of the hops so you add the right amount of bitterness.

I don't make wheat beers, so I can't help with that!

Thanks for the quick reply! I thought the fuggle would be the replacement just wanted an opinion since I do not yet know the flavor difference between many hops. any insight on what the difference would be? the fuggle are 3.6 and EKG are 5.3 will adjust the weight accordingly. Mix the 0.3 of EKG with the fuggle or just sub the fuggle?
Ben

I don't make wheat beers, so I can't help with that!
I do not either (do not like the clove banana etc), the Wheat LME was from a PM Belgian Wit kit I was supposed to brew with someone else over the summer but never happened so thought a "chocolate" wheat or something similar might be different.

Back