Too much whirlfloc?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGlothan

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it possible to use too much whir floc? The guy at my LHBS store told me to use 2 tablets in my beer. Its a pretty high gravity/hops beer and the trub seems to be at a much higher level. This is my first time using whir floc so Im not sure how it is supposed to look in the fermenter. I added to wort 5 min before end of boil and then dumped EVERYTHING into fermenter after chilling as I always do. It looks very different than any other batch. Will this stuff all settle like my other batches?

Thanks,

Shawn

What size batch did you do? I use 2 tablets for my 10 gallon batches.

I did a 5.5 batch. It is an imperial ipa. Is it possible to use too much? He seemed to be certain i should use 2. can you over do it?

I doubt it's possible to overdo it. The whirlfloc is just going to grab onto whatever proteins are in suspension and drag them down. Putting more in should just result in more crap in the bottom of the kettle. It can only grab whatever is in suspension.

I boiled it into the wort. I then gave the wort an ice bath. I dumped the entire pot into the fermenter, trub and all. Is that the proper use? The carboy seems like it has 4-5 times the amount of trub. Im just hoping it settles.

I boiled it into the wort. I then gave the wort an ice bath. I dumped the entire pot into the fermenter, trub and all. Is that the proper use? The carboy seems like it has 4-5 times the amount of trub. Im just hoping it settles.

Nothing wrong with your technique or the amount of WhirlFloc....no worries, it will all settle out

FYI that I prefer cleaner wort, so I always build in an extra gallon into my recipes so that I can leave a gallon of trub in the bottom of the boil kettle and still get 5.25 gallons into the carboy. This method only leaves a thin layer of yeast at the bottom and results in what I feel is clearer beer. It'll knock your brewhouse efficiency down and cost a dollar or two more for grain, but it makes me feel better to not dump as much trub into my carboy...I still get plenty for yeast health and whatnot.

Back