Starter from bottled beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
Want to brew another batch of my raspberry hefe, but don't have an White Labs locally, so if I made a starter from my bottled beer for a ten gallon batch Here are my questions:

1. The beer has been bottled for about 4-6 months. What is the chance of the yeast coming out way different from the original batch (infection aside, I am referring more to mutation since the yeast has been pressurized)

2. What volumes do you use to step up your starter?

3. About how long did it take to make your starter? I used to using the White Labs tubes, so I assume it will take much longer.

Thanks.

Probably wont be way different, but you always take the risk. I personally never do, considering the one month investment. The additional 5 bucks or so for a new pitch is always a good investment. How many posts have you seen that go along the lines of:" recultured the yeast from brand x beer, brewed my favorite homebrewx that Ive done a thousand times, but it wont ferment. Why is this happening?" Good on you for realizing the mutation and changing flavor profiles of mutiple generational yeast. Most people dont believe it. I also like the pitchable vials because.... it is pitchable. No starter, no waiting. When I used to make starters long ago, I would use a pound of DME to make a one gallon starter for a ten gallon batch with good results. When taking the cost of DME, sanitizer, and time to make a starter from yeast of unknown health and viability from the bottom of bottle in consideration, new pitchable yeast look better and better, To me at least.

Cool. I'll probably just get some Wyeast then. I used the White Labs strain originally, and my LHB shop doesn't like White Labs... In the mean time I've got a pint of third generation American Ale from the local micro brewery waiting for brew day Wednesday for a nice IPA.

Want to brew another batch of my raspberry hefe, but don't have an White Labs locally, so if I made a starter from my bottled beer for a ten gallon batch Here are my questions:

1. The beer has been bottled for about 4-6 months. What is the chance of the yeast coming out way different from the original batch (infection aside, I am referring more to mutation since the yeast has been pressurized)

2. What volumes do you use to step up your starter?

3. About how long did it take to make your starter? I used to using the White Labs tubes, so I assume it will take much longer.

Thanks.

It took me about two weeks to get enough yeast from a Bell's Pale Ale to brew a 5 gal batch. I added about 25-50mL of 1.020 wort right to the bottle and allowed that to rouse. That probably took the longest. Depending on the age of the yeast this could take a week. Swirl often and keep warm. Pitch this into 250-500mL of 1.020-1.030 wort, allow to ferment and then step up into 1.040 wort for your final starter. It's not hard. Just takes patience, viable yeast in the bottle (just make sure your bottling strain is not different than the fermentation strain and that the brewery doesn't pasteurize), and good sanitation. Check this thread for some more pointers.

pabloj13 said:
It took me about two weeks to get enough yeast from a Bell's Pale Ale to brew a 5 gal batch. I added about 25-50mL of 1.020 wort right to the bottle and allowed that to rouse. That probably took the longest. Depending on the age of the yeast this could take a week. Swirl often and keep warm. Pitch this into 250-500mL of 1.020-1.030 wort, allow to ferment and then step up into 1.040 wort for your final starter. It's not hard. Just takes patience, viable yeast in the bottle (just make sure your bottling strain is not different than the fermentation strain and that the brewery doesn't pasteurize), and good sanitation. Check this thread for some more pointers.

I know what strain it is since its my brew, but I can see how using commercial beers could give you an unwelcome surprise when they use a different strain for bottling. Thanks for the volumes and times.

I know what strain it is since its my brew, but I can see how using commercial beers could give you an unwelcome surprise when they use a different strain for bottling. Thanks for the volumes and times.

Missed that part. I like the process. It's like a fun adventure. You'll notice a little mini krausen that rises and falls during the first step. Once you've had that happen it's just a matter of stepping up. Good luck, let us know how it goes! :tank:

You can re-use the yeast from your bottles. The more bottles you use, the better start you will get.

Use about half a dozen bottles and I think you will find it takes off quickly. We (home-brewers) tend to have a lot more yeast in our bottles than commercial beers.

Calder said:
You can re-use the yeast from your bottles. The more bottles you use, the better start you will get.

Use about half a dozen bottles and I think you will find it takes off quickly. We (home-brewers) tend to have a lot more yeast in our bottles than commercial beers.

Well, I only have six bottles left, so I guess ill have to go home tonight, geyw good buzz, and make my starter.

Well, I only have six bottles left, so I guess ill have to go home tonight, geyw good buzz, and make my starter.

One will do. With 6 you will be starting off with 6 times the amount of yeast. Maybe start with 3?

Calder said:
One will do. With 6 you will be starting off with 6 times the amount of yeast. Maybe start with 3?

Start with 3.......are we talking about my weekend or the yeast starter?

What is the risk of pitching the yeast to larger amount of starter wort (~500 ml) as opposed to getting there by stepping up?

RobMT said:
What is the risk of pitching the yeast to larger amount of starter wort (~500 ml) as opposed to getting there by stepping up?
From what I've been able to Google it seems you will simply have a harder time getting the yeast to kick in. Sort of like under pitching your main fermentation. Too much work, too little yeast, and now they're stressed out and over worked.

Back