how long should fermentation be strong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flounder709

Reaction score
This past friday I did my first boil kit with a partial boil kit from midwest supplies (Irish Red Ale). Everything seemed to go well, hit my sg of 1.042, rehydrated yeast and pitched at about 66 degrees. Had a nice fast fermentation 12 hours later that lasted for about 20 hours. This morning the airlock is maybe going 1-2 bubbles per minute, down from about 30 or per minute. I was going to let it sit one week and rack to secondary, should I be concerned at all now or does this sound pretty normal. Want to hold off on doing another hydrometer reading to prevent any chance for contamination.

Thanks alot

Taking another reading with not contaminate your wort unless you do something wrong. I'd say it's to early to move to secondary, leave it 5-7 days. Fermentation can be almost complete with in 24 hours if the conditions are right.

Be patient you beer will be better.

Back