Burnt Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobjohnson77

Reaction score
Ok I used my keggle for the first time yesterday and my wort stuck to the bottom and burned. Is the beer going to be ok? will it have an off taste? I made a vanilla caramel ale( cheesefood's) since it's a sweet beer I think the burnt flavor if any might be ok but not sure there was quite a bit of black flakes in it when I was done. I plan on one week primarty and one in a secondary to get rid of the flakes and maybe even some gelatin, thoughts? How can Iprevent this in the future? I stired well when the LME was added and a few time through out the boill. was the turkey fryer to hot maybe?

You will taste it in the finished product I'm sure. The extent of the off flavor will depend on just how much extract you actually burnt, but there will probably be an off flavor as a result.

Next time, take the pot off the burner when adding extract and make sure it's fully dissolved before putting it back on. Using dry extract can also help prevent this because it doesn't have the tendency to sink right to the bottom.

I could taste it some what ...any way to correct it? Maybe adding the lactose will kill it more and the flavor could be like a coffee. So once I get the LME mixed in better I normally shouldn't have to stired during the boil right?

I'm not really sure how to correct it to be honest. Scorched extract is a really tough flavor to cover up. It's less noticeable in a dark brew like a stout where roasted flavors are prevalent, but it sounds like your brew doesn't fall into such a category. You may just need to give it some time and see what happens. Consider this an important lesson learned.

Once the LME is fully dissolved you don't really need to spend a bunch of time stirring the wort. Most of the stirring I do is while I'm adding extract or when I'm trying to avoid boil-over right after adding extract. Otherwise I don't stir very much.

this happened to me recently. when i sampled the hydro reading, i could sense it but not big time... it has been conditioning for close to a month now and if you didn't know it had happened, you wouldn't even taste it. i bet you'll be fine if it wasn't too perceptible. the scorch mark was a pain in the azz to get off too, eventually i just let it dry out and used a stainless steel scrubby on it and 99% of it came off. there is a small discolored ring in the bottom of the keggle still.

My very first batch I scorched the kettle pretty good. If you can taste it that is what you will get - won't go away.

2 lessons learned.

1. do not follow the advice of the LHBS
2, remove from heat before adding extract.

Latest posts

Back