Okay to use sterile conical tubes without sanitizing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramey70

Reaction score
My wife works in a bioterrorism lab and she's got an excess supply of 50ml conical test tubes to bring me for yeast culturing. The labels say they have been sterilized with gamma radiation and are free of DNA to a level of 1 picogram or less. Also says they are free of microbial burden by ANSI testing standards.

Would it be detrimental to even try to sanitize or further sterilize these tubes after opening?

I would venture to guess that any sanations methods you do to sterile lab equiptment would do more harm than good. Just take into account that we sanatize, which isn't nearly as good as sterilization!

I guess it would all depend on how they are handled once they leave the lab (assuming they are not degraded while in lab).

If they are sterile and sealed/protected until you pour your slurry/yeast in it, I wouldn't mess with them.

I use those in my lab. They are much cleaner than anything you clean at home. Work up a good starter and store yourself a lot of healthy vials of yeast.

Back