Double Boil Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickeyD

Reaction score
So I just thought up something. Don't know if anyone has ever tried this or if there is even a good reason for trying it.

Brew a beer and let it ferment out. After fermentation, rack it off the yeast into the brewpot. Start another boil and throw some DME/LME/whatever you want into the pot. Depending on how much you boil off you could even do another small mash. Yes, you will boil off the ethanol and whatever else is volatile enough. Once the boil is done, throw the beer back into the fermenter. It is somewhat similar to a decotion mash. However, if some of the flavors the yeast produce stick around or are altered in a positive way by the second boil, it could be a very unique beer.

Thoughts or comments?

You're CRAZY!

Therefore, I say go for it and see what it does. :D

You could even pitch a different yeast the second time around to make it interesting.

I don't have any plans to make a beer like this anytime soon. There are so many crazy things you could do with this. My idea is to eventually make a beer like this, bottle or keg a portion of it and boil the remainder. That way there would be a baseline for flavor comparison. But thats when recipe formulation for the second boil will get interesting....gotta let this idea ferment for a while before trying this out.

Cheers

Back