210,000 BTU scorched wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a LP burner that with a 30 psi regulator will reach 210,000 BTU's. My ? is that my sanke kettle with false bottom, and this burner will I scorch my wort ?. Do I need to keep my wort moving if I use a burner this hot? I'll be doing 10 gal at a time and want somthin hot enough to get my boil going quick. Feed back will be appreciated.

I use a 200,000 BTU burner under 20 gallons of wort - brings it to a nice rolling boil rather quickly. After the boil is established, you can back off on the heat to maintain it.

I believe your looking at a 10" banjo burner. I have this model and it's my favorite burner I have several different models of turkey and banjo burners and this is my all time favorite!!! I have no problem getting a boil and it is fast I can boil 5 gallons in 7 minutes from a 60 degree starting water, as for scorching I've never run into this problem. If your a DME or liquid concentrate brewer just turn it down low or turn it off until you have your DME or liquid concentrate into full suspention in your wort and then let it RIP!!!!!!:ban:

Yeah, you know the more I look into this topic the more it seems you need a really really high intensity flame, or are dealing primarily with thick (ie undissolved extracts, like smogman points out) spots in the wort. If you have good convection (which a nice rolling boil is) then the sugar really can't get carmelized onto the pot.

zoebisch01 said:
If you have good convection (which a nice rolling boil is) then the sugar really can't get carmelized onto the pot.

To a degree. That intense flame near the bottom of the pot will most certainly caramelize some wort.

Dude said:
To a degree. That intense flame near the bottom of the pot will most certainly caramelize some wort.

I was reading that Westmalle (I think it was, one of those Belgian brewers anyhow) has the trademark of carmelized sugar resulting from this. I haven't tried it yet, it's just what I read.

I do my beer indoors on the stovetop. Nothing superhigh btu, but it does well, just takes a little longer. I have a #304 stainless brewpot coming, that doesn't have a clad type bottom and the last thing I want is to have to stir. (I usually use the wort boiling time to do other preparations, I am sure like many folks). It is shipping today, woo-hoo no more splitting wort! So hopefully I will get good enough diffusion to help offset carmelization.

zoebisch01 said:
I was reading that Westmalle (I think it was, one of those Belgian brewers anyhow) has the trademark of carmelized sugar resulting from this. I haven't tried it yet, it's just what I read.

You bet, in some beers the brewer actually goes for that caramelization.

Did you ever get to read that article about brewing with stones in a Zymurgy mag from last year? Interesting reading for sure.

Dude said:
You bet, in some beers the brewer actually goes for that caramelization.

Did you ever get to read that article about brewing with stones in a Zymurgy mag from last year? Interesting reading for sure.

Didn't. I gotta get me some subscriptions :D

Thanks guy's for the info I will be ordering this burner today! I am using a 55,000 BTU burner for the HLT and a 30,000 BTU burner for my mashtun, for what it's worth. Cheers

I use a 200,000 BTU burner under 20 gallons of wort - brings it to a nice rolling boil rather quickly. After the boil is established, you can back off on the heat to maintain it.

how much propane do you use like a tank a batch or is the system pretty efficient

Back