A Noob Warning to Other Noobs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d37fan

Reaction score
Southeast Kansas, a stones throw from Big Brutus
I was getting things ready last night for a brew night tonight, along with assembling a batch of Apfelwein, and had the sink of Idophor rinse for the tools. Later last night I noticed that my silver ring was no longer silver, but was that nice shade of purple rainbow that tarnished silver gets. So watch the jewelry when using Idophor. I know it will come off with silver polish, but I don't have any at the moment. I also didn't have it mixed heavy either.
Dale

Id remove the jewelry while brewing anyway. will cut down on cleaning and possible contamination. plus it safer for you and the jewelry.

as for the idophor, staining is the main reason i switched to star san. also i hear star san is healthier for the yeast so thats another big plus.

Starsan is the way to go. It's septic safe, it's good for yeast, it needs only 30 seconds contact time and only Table Spoon for mixing up 2.5 gallons. No staining either.

Highly recommended! A quart bottle will last you over a year.

Latest posts

Back