What can I make with these ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madman960

Reaction score
I have 8 pounds 2 row
1 pound vienna
1 pound caramel 10L
1 pound cara-pils
2 oz hallertau 4.7%
2 oz Kent goldings 4.9%
US-05

Thanks;

Bill

An american bitter

7.5lbs 2 row
8oz Vienna
8oz of carapils
8oz caramel 10L

.875 oz kent goldings 60min
.375 oz kent goldings 10min
.375 oz hallertauer 0min

og 1.035 or so

I was a Budweiser guy for a long time. I like 3rd shift amber lager. Guinness on occasion, Stella sometimes. I don't like a beer that finishes bitter.

Thinking of trying:
4 pounds 2 row
.5 cara-pils
.25 oz hallertau 20 min
.25 oz halleretau 10
.50 oz hallertau flame out steep 5 min
US-05 rehydrated

2.5 gallon batch and 3 gallon boil

Awesome. What might it taste like?

This may be weird but I do not mind if the beer starts a little bitter as long as it does not finish bitter.

Bill

I was a Budweiser guy for a long time. I like 3rd shift amber lager. Guinness on occasion, Stella sometimes. I don't like a beer that finishes bitter.

Thinking of trying:
4 pounds 2 row
.5 cara-pils
.25 oz hallertau 20 min
.25 oz halleretau 10
.50 oz hallertau flame out steep 5 min
US-05 rehydrated

2.5 gallon batch and 3 gallon boil

This seems like a good starting point. And since it uses half of your ingredients, I would make 2 batches.

Do one how you already suggested, and then maybe do the same batch but add in some Vienna and change the hop times or even mix in some of the Goldings. Then you will have two to compare and you will be able to dial in your preferences.

7 2-row
1 Vienna
.5 C-10
.5 Carapils
.5oz each EKG and Hallertauer for 60 minutes

Now for the fun part. After 60 minutes, pour half the wort into a separate container. When wort is under 200F, add 1oz of EKG to one pot and 1oz of Hallertauer to the other and let sit 15 minutes before you chill. Ferment away, then dry-hop each batch with remaining .5oz of same hop used before. 1 mash, 1 boil, 2 beers.

Great tips but I need to get another 2.5 gallon fermentor for this to work. I have 5 gallons of a blonde ale in my carboy and 2.5 gallons of Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde going int my LBK today or tomorrow. I still have my 6.5 gallon ale pail but I do not want to put 2.5 gallons in it.

Bill

I ferment small batches in a big bucket all the time. For a primary, it's no problem, as the yeast will pretty quickly create enough CO2 to drive out the oxygen in the headspace. Excessive headspace is really only an issue for secondary and/or long-aging. Most of us (me included) are more likely to oxidize our beer during splashy transfers than from oversized fermenters. Or, use this as an excuse to purchase another fermenter.

Went back to the LBS today. Today is their last day of operation. I got a bunch more hops and 2 pounds of Caramel 40L.

Hops are:
Warrior 15.7% (2 oz)
US Northern Brewer 10.3% (2 oz)
US Tettnang 4.6% (2 oz)
US Hallertau 4.7% (1 oz) So 3 oz on hand

The LBS said I can buy their grain mill next week once they start selling off fixtures. Works well. I ground 8 pounds in about 10 min by hand.

Back