Berliner Weisse, boil time, and DMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qhrumphf

Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been searching for a good while now on this site and elsewhere on the web, and can't seem to come up with an answer to this. Also since it's more about the grain than the souring, I figured I'd post it in this section ;)

I've seen a couple different methods for doing Berliner Weisses. Different methods of adding lacto aside, I either see no-boil or short boil methods. If a grain bill is composed largely of pilsner malt, wouldn't there be a load of DMS in the beer? Every beer I've done with pilsner malt I've done a 90 minute boil.

From my searching, most people say they've never had DMS doing it either way, but I've seen some posts by folks with a severe DMS flavor. Anyone have any reasons why it works sometimes but not others? Is there any drawback to just boiling for 90 mins like I normally would?

Granted it's not an expensive beer to make (even if I opt to buy a lacto culture instead of growing it myself), but I'd rather avoid a sour cooked corn beer.

Back