A Christmas-themed, piney Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KneeHighBrewery

Reaction score
So my inspiration for this beer really stems from the feeling of sitting by the fire on a cold December night, snowed in, drinking a beer that's dark and hoppy.

I had originally planned for this to have some chocolate malt with cinnamon in the boil and dry hopped with pine chips, but I wasn't sure how the chocolate and cinnamon would pair. So I changed it up, got rid of the chocolate and cinnamon, and instead went with rye in the mash (still planning on dry hopping with pine).

I think I'm set with my choice of hops. I really want to try Chinook as a bittering, and I think I have the right combo of Simcoe/Amarillo that will put most of the piney flavors in the nose and keep the hoppy/fruity tastes towards the middle/finish.

Anyway, here's the recipe:

Christmas 2013 Black IPA
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 4.25 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.081 SG
Estimated Color: 45.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 111.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 66.7 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) 13.3 %
1 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) 6.7 %
2 lbs Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) 13.3 %
2.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 74.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min 13.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min 18.5 IBUs
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min 5.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

What do you guys think?

Cheers! :mug:

Interesting. I've been thinking of taking my house Black IPA and adding some flaked rye.
Right off the bat I think you need some dry hopping. Really isn't an IPA (in my opinion) without it. Other than that, I think you have too much candi sugar and most blacks have some Carafa III and some chocolate malt.

But, that's just me.

Latest posts

Back