mystery of watery/gross beer solved

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liebertron

Reaction score
My last batch of beer was watery and the batch before that was just gross. I was really starting to think that something was wrong with me, I havent had a bad batch of beer for a long time let alone TWO back to back. I think I solved the problem though, and it makes me pretty mad how simple of a problem it was...

I leave my gear in the basement and when I went grab my thermometer in curiosity to check the temperature of the basement I noticed it read 80 degrees.

There is NO way my basement is 80, its probably more like 65... I think that my steeping temp has been 15 degrees too low for two batches due to a broken thermometer... at least I think I have finally found my reason for two bad batches.

Anyone have a trusty thermometer they can recommend? I would think of going digital after all this annoyance.

I use a floating thermometer my wife picked up at the LHBS. It's been reliable so far. I just try hard to take care of not messin it up somehow.

I've got redundant digital and analog thermometers all over my setup, just because I know one day this will happen to me. Nothing fancy, just going on the chance no two will crap out at the same time.

Steeping or mashing? If it's just steeping I have a hard time believing it's the issue at hand.

I like my Big Red, its waterproof and very sensitive. On my 3rd year with it and same battery.

rest-1.jpg

DSC02404.jpg

Steeping your grain 15˚ lower than the recommended 160˚-170˚ wouldn't cause watery or "gross" beer (I assume me mean off-tasting). At first I thought your ferm temps were too high, but it seems like your temps would be too 15˚ too low. In that case you'd have under-attenuated beer. It would be sweet. And you'd have had possible bottle bombs.

Even brewer's best gives steep temps of between 150-165F. 170 F & you get into tannin territory. Mash temps are 150-160F. Higher for more color/flavor,& lower for more fermentables & lighter color.

Either way, I don't think 15˚ too low would account for watery beer, and I think you'd have to steep at 175-plus to extract tannins. In my extract brewing days, I know I steeped grains at or near 170˚in some of my first brews, and I couldn't detect any ill effects.

Bottom line is that the OP is trying to troubleshoot "watery" and "gross" beer, and I don't think we've gotten to to bottom of it yet.

I use the foot-long dial-type probe thermometer that came with my original kit to clip onto the boil pot to check temperatures, right through chilling. Checking the calibration is easy, since it's on there during the boil.

For everything else I use a Thermapen. Convenient, accurate, and very fast to register the correct temperature. I use it for brewing, baking, cooking. Right now Thermoworks is having an open box sale on Thermapens for $69, which is a great value.

Either way, I don't think 15˚ too low would account for watery beer, and I think you'd have to steep at 175-plus to extract tannins. In my extract brewing days, I know I steeped grains at or near 170˚in some of my first brews, and I couldn't detect any ill effects.

Bottom line is that the OP is trying to troubleshoot "watery" and "gross" beer, and I don't think we've gotten to to bottom of it yet.

I agree. Steeping too low or too high wouldn't give watery or gross beer. Something else is the cause.

Back