Reusing Fermenter Without Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xon432246

Reaction score
After I remove the wort for bottling from my primary fermenter can I add new cooled wort into the same fermenter with the same yeast to start another batch or do I have to remove the yeast cake and clean the fermenter?

I would remove the cake and clean the fermentor. Just the thought about the old krausen sticking to the sides could be a tougher to clean would make me do it. I think you would be relatively ok just pitching on top of the old cake, but why take the chance. Just a single bacteral organism getting in with the air could ruin your next batch. That is why we wash our yeast and give it a sniff test before we repitch it. An off flavor would be a signal that the yeast is compramised and not to use it.

Just drain and pitch on top of it. Unless you've left it uncovered outside for 3 days, it'll be fine. With that many cells, the yeast will outcompete almost anything out there.

I would remove the cake and clean the fermentor. Just the thought about the old krausen sticking to the sides could be a tougher to clean would make me do it. I think you would be relatively ok just pitching on top of the old cake, but why take the chance. Just a single bacteral organism getting in with the air could ruin your next batch. That is why we wash our yeast and give it a sniff test before we repitch it. An off flavor would be a signal that the yeast is compramised and not to use it.

It's a long-standing debate, but I cast my vote with this answer.

Here's a long thread about the issue: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why-not-pitch-your-yeast-cake-166221/

Latest posts

Back