Fermentation stopped after 7 days?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewUpAndSup

Reaction score
Hi all. I put together a canned fruit wine over a week ago and for the first 7 days it bubbled nicely. All of a sudden it's stopped! Should I add more yeast? Cheers

Some wines only take 7 days. It's not uncommon. So long as your SG is around 0.995ish, it's finished.

Check your SG and move to secondary away from the lees.

...and then tell us how it's tasting. :)

Dicky

If I say it correct the hydrometer reading is 1.028 Next to it says 75 sweet? Please help!

Test it again either tomorrow or the day after and if it has gone down it is still fermenting. Hopefully it will for you.

Just make sure it's in a warm place, and we'll cross that bridgewhen we get there.

Dicky

Ok....it's been 5 days and I've re-racked into another container. Hydrometer still has the same reading 1.028 Don't know what to do? More yeast?

It sure is. It has started to bubble again since re-racking but very slowly, like once every 30-45secs. Just gonna keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

Pitch EC-1118. That might get your fermentation started again.

Yeah it is. I didn't see where you said it had started to bubble again. Hope it takes off for you. Keep us posted.

I would wait atleast 4 days before you take another reading, I had some high gravity skeeter pee that stuck at 1.090 until I added yeast nutrient and oxygen. I would try the nutrient thing, and also if your gravity was too high when you started it is possible your yeast died from alcohol poisoning..

Quick update!! It's taken off nicely now with a bubble every 7-8secs. Will keep updating and thanks everyone for the advice :)

Back