New to hop gardening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caboose

Reaction score
I havent grown my own yet, but I am very interested in it. I have been doing a lot of reading on Pride of Ringwood and would love to use it as my first. Does anyone know where in the world I can locate it. I have found a few places online but they are all sold out for 2011.

That brings me to my second question. Is it too late in the season to be starting. I am in southern KY and the avg temp right now is mid 70's.

It's not too late to start if you can find some rhizomes. I've not seen that particular variety. If you do start this year, you will not get any cones to form, but at least you will have a leg up on next year. Get them in the ground and get the roots growing. Most varieties don't produce a useable amount the first year anyway.

Awesome thats what I was hoping. Pride of Ringwood is an Aussie strand that James Squire helped get going. Since I spent a good chunk of my childhood there I wanted to start growing some and making some Aussie beer. Im hoping to find a rhizome. Is it possible/legal to have them imported, like if I have a friend buy them there and send them over?

I'm growing Pride of Ringwood. I likely got it from Thyme Garden.

My first year plant produced one or two dry ounces. Still in freezer. I was reading that the reason it isn't grown comercially in the states is because we don't have a long enough growing season for it. It's on my short list of "dig it up and put in a better plant". I'm a fan of having quirky things others don't have- like POR. End of day, I'm grow hops to get off "the hop grid". A non producer has got to go.

PM me. I'm going to Dark Lord day this weekend but depending on the health of the plant I could send you a cutting. Or if I have terrible results this year I could send you a three year old plant next year?

Something to consider beyond access is yield. I've got plants that give me 22oz dry-not bad for a home grower. I love fuggle but my stupid fuggle plant has given me four cones if I'm lucky. Just something to consider concerning POR.

Back