How long to successfully cold crash a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielinva

Reaction score
So I'm using a stir plate on my starter for the first time and it looks like its winding down now that its about 18 hours from when I pitched. I wasn't planning on decanting any of the beer off the top, but now I'm wondering if I should since the krausen has dropped. Its a 1L starter and I'm about 9 hours away from pitching time. Would the yeast have time to flocculate or would I be decanting a large amount of yeast?

I usually give it 24-48 hrs to cold crash. If I don't have the time I just pour off the clearest wort from the starter and add the remainder to my brew.

It depends on the yeast and it depends on the cold-crashing temperature. There will be a time difference between crashing a starter at 40°F and 32°F. Lager yeasts need more time to crash than do ale yeasts. I like to crash as cold as possible and give ale yeasts at least 24 hours, lager yeasts at least 48 hours.

Thats kind of what I figured, I'll probably just end up pitching the whole thing this time and delay my starter a bit longer next time when using the stir plate.

Back