Large Pot for Outdoors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I may have to move next summer or late this fall and i was wandering if it were better i just plant in large pots and let them go outside. then i can just move the pot and plant next spring

the pots are about 2 feet in diameter and about 2 feet tall. WIll that be sufficient for me to transplant my rhyzome into?

I potted it in may when i got it and this year i expect it to actually grow more than a couple feet so im not sure how large a pot i need.

I used 5 gallon buckets last year for some first year rhizomes, and although it worked, I feel like they really wanted more space. I would get as big of a pot as you can to plant them in. Preferable would be about the same size as wine barrels cut in half.

The pots you sited should work as long as you have some good soil. I use a blend of equal parts Black Soil, Sand, Compost, and Manure.

5 Gallon buckets are good too for the first year but after that they become rootbound.

I was in the same situation last year and potted my hops in what turned out to be too small of a pot.

If I were to do it again, I would use those large rubbermaid tubs that people put kegs in to allod for proper root growth. My bines showed obvious growth issues around mid season due to insufficient soil.

I got those babies in a 30 gallon pot each now so they can stretch their legs. I've heard rumor that Weyerbacher only charges like $25 for an old wine barrel so that's a real cheap way to get two big pots. Lowes wants $29 for a half barrel planter!!!

I'm thinking of just drilling holes into garbage cans and putting them in there.
I put them in small pots for now, so that they don't spend several weeks in a ziplock bag.

Back