Propane burner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd think it might be on the regulater instead of the burner? Good question, I'll check mine when I get home.

loop

it should be marked on the burner, like a 55,000 btu cast burner. then a high pressure regulater capable of handling a 55,000 btu burner.

Im just wondering because my parents have a turker fryer burner w/ stand but they dont have the orig. packaging. So I dont know the BTU's. I am converting a 15.5G sanke to a boil kettle tomorrow and was wondering if the burner on it will be enough to make 10 gal batches.

I checked mine out. It is pretty old and very cruddy. I couldn't see any markings on the burner itself. The regulater only had a serial no. on it. I would say that even if the burner you are looking at is on the low end of the turkey fryer spectrum, you should be in good shape for 10 gallon boils.

loop

I don't see any markings on any of my burners. And size won't tell you. My 10,000 BTU cook stove burner is physically larger than the 55,000 BTU turkey fryer. Turkey burners vary from 35,000 to 100,000 BTU. Anything in this range would be usable.

Neither of the burners I've used have any markings on them. I agree with DeRoux's, the higher pressure the regulator the more likely the burner is high output. Most of the high BTU burners run at 20psi. The lower ones are 10psi.

I'd bet that most any turkey fryer makes enough heat to boil 10 gallons. They're supposed to take oil to 350 degrees, after all. Higher output just gets you there faster. My 185k/20 psi burner will take room temp water for my extract brews to 160 degrees in about 10-12 minutes, depending on the ambient temp. Wide open, it sounds like a jet taking off.

Fire... Fire! He hehe heh he. (in best Beavis text impersonation)

Back