Whats the best kegging system.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecialEd

Reaction score
Here is what I would like to do. LESS BOTTLES. Take a decent amount to a party(2-3 gallons), have some beer availiable at home, and store some beer without tapping it for maybe 2-3months. SO what is everyones reccommedations on the best kegging system out there. I have looked at Party Pig's, Tap-A-Draft, Mini-Kegs, and fill onn 5 gallon corny keg systems. I have to admit I do like the idea of kegging 3 or so gallons and bottling the rest for personal consumption, and having a few kegs of different kinds of beer for parties, but corny kegs are nice because they are storable and you can force carbonate. PHEW sorry long post but opinions please.:rockin:

I'm not a kegging man, but you could keg the whole batch and force carbonate. Then, using a beer gun, bottle a few whenever you need them.

Dude has a beer gun (made by Bilchman or something like that) and used it to bottle some of his kegged brew for me when he came down to Raleigh for the World Beer Festival.

-walker

I have been putting my beer into 5 gal corny kegs and then force carbonating it. After that, I use my beer gun to put some in 2 liter soda bottles with a carbonator cap and use that for transportation to friends' houses and stuff.

Kind of expensive (kegs, beer gun, caps, co2...), but it works well.

Five gallon cornies are the way to go. I tried the mini-kegs and was really disappointed, leaks, no carbonation, broken taps, etc.

5 gal cornie kegs are the way to go. My LBS says that if you want to bottle some and keg some all that would be needed to do would be rack half into the corney and then purge all the oxygen with CO2 before sealing the keg....then bottle the rest as usual. Does this sound about right or have you found success doing this another way? Our current brew that is fermenting we are thinking about kegging half and bottling the other half.

any better ideas feel free to PM me so that i dont hijack this thread. :)

Hey anyone can hijack a thread of mine, the more ideas the better. The guy at the brew store reccommends Party-Pigs, I was looking at Tap-a-drafts, they seem nice, portable, dont need to carry a huge CO2 tank and easy to get multiple brews at a party. A bit less expensive too which is nice but does anyone think its a false economy (if it just breaks its pointless)? I wouldent mind doing cornies except they are just kinda big on everthing, space,price,quantity...

The corny kegs themselves aren't expensive.. it's all the other things: the CO2, the regulator, hoses, etc. You can get a used corny keg for like $35. Clean it and replace the gaskets and off you go.

OK good advice. In all honesty I think I will give the tap-a-draft or party pig a try. Im sure I will go for the corny keg soon but right now im not even sure how often I will use it. lol im not popular enough to take a 5 gallon batch twice a month to a party. The bottles are relatively cheap (and small) too for tap-a-draft. This would be nice because I could have one in the fridge at alltimes and if I did goto a party I could take bottles of different types of beer. If anyone has any experience with these systems please let me know if they are good or if they will break in a couple of weeks or are hard to use etc...

Latest posts

Back