Best way to insulate Sanke Mash Tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would recomend minimum 1 2/2" thick Closed-Cell Foam sheets, similar to typical pipe insulation, in sheet form from a Plumbing supplier. Either that, or construct a shell around the keg with at least a 2" gap and fill with spray foam.

Hot water heater insulation from HD :
thenewsetup.jpg

I recently bought this from:http://www.insulationworld.com
It's the same foam that MoorBeer uses on there conicals, I also use it my my sanke.

12680 ARMAFLEX sheet
1" THICK X 36" X 48"

It works great. You can use glue to attach, or I use zip ties. I use the keg for other reasons, depending on my batch size. I hope this helps.

Reflectix insulation from HomeDepot works well and is easy to install. If you are direct firing you would have to take precautions to avoid a burning melting mess.

The OP won't be direct firing. Check out BobbyM's thread on direct fired mashtun insulation....he's using mineral wool and aluminum sheet.

I saw that too but I am not as much of a handy man as Bobby, I don't have a riveter but........ I could always use one.

I am waiting on the report of how well it hold heat too.

Ok, I was reading another post about electric blankets. How crazy of a idea would it be to use a electric blanket to surround the mash tun, crank it up and suround it again with a sleeping bag?

That should help hold the heat I am guessing.

What about the electric rope type heater, people wrap around pipes so they won't freeze. I saw that stuff at lowes in different size lengths it plugs into standard 110 outlet, I have no idea how much heat it puts out. Just a thought you could wrap it around keg and then insulate on top of it.

Back