Absorption in mash-Corn, et al

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPFuller

Reaction score
Planning on brewing a CAP over New Year's and will be using flaked maize. I have never used corn before, as either flaked, polenta or otherwise and had two specific questions for those of you that have.

1). Is there one form or the other that you would recommend based on flavor? I have no problem doing a cerea/double mash if required.

2). I typically compute my grain absorption as .15 gallons of liquid per pound of grain, in the mash. Is loss to maize in its various forms computed the same as malted grain? If not, what would you recommend?

Finally and for future reference, what about absorption rates for oats, and other common adjuncts?

Thanks, John

Flaked maize is fine to use, and will give a fine product. I've used grits, and cornmeal, and I know malticulous has used popcorn- but flaked maize sure is easier! I just use what I have, and do a cereal mash if I have to if I'm using corn grits. But flaked maize means no need to do that, and it can go right into the mash.

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies, I was hoping the flavor from the flaked maize was comprable to its other forms for just the reason you cite, i.e. ease of use. Only mentioned it because of a concern I read elsewhere about spoiling and storage issues at the LHBS. Happy Holiday's

Corn, or as the Indian's call it Maize, is a fairly neutral grain in all the forms that we brew with. Flaked grains will aid a little more in head retention, and oats will help will fullness in the mouth. Wheat can also do this to a lesser extent.
Raw grains are something I have brewed with for many years, so if you have any other questions, let me know, I would be more than happy to assist!
Happy Holidays to you as well

Latest posts

Back