So my neighbor has a massive pear tree...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaterWeasel

Reaction score
I stopped by to ask if they use the pears for anything and the reply was "Take all you want"
I filled 5 14 gallon totes!
That juiced into 15 gallons of pear juice (took me 4 hours)
I made 2 six gallon batches one with organic sugar and one with brown sugar (they are still bubbling)
I left 3 gallons without sugar and used champagne yeast. I drank a pint of it tonight...it has approx 7% alcohol...but I do not like the way it tastes. More importantly my wife hates it SO.......
My plan is to freeze distill the last 3 gallons. I made the stuff and it gave me a buzz....I cannot just toss it out! Any thoughts? Has anyone done this? Should I do it in smaller containers and put it in the freezer?

How long has the 3 gallon batch been finished? You basically have a fruit wine. It can take a year for the flavor to mature.

I took first in at the 2010 1st UMMO Eis-Anything Competition with a perryjack. Statred with good tasting perry tho. All you are doing is concentrating alcohol and flavors, if you didn't like it before, you won't like it concentrated.

A year to mature....I have been drinking my Apple wine that I started sept 1st for quite some time....and its good.
Anyway. If I make it into perry jack will it still mature? I was thinking about using charcoal and filtering out the funky taste. I did drink a pint so its not horrid.
Why is it that I can just leave cider sitting in the jug for a week and drink it hard and delicious, but pear has to mature?

Well the perry jack I will drink, but I dont love it....but my pear wine is delicious! I have 2 batches of 6gal pear juice. One made with organic sugar and the other with brown sugar. They stopped bubbling so I tried them both. There is the expected alcohol taste that will go away with time, but I can tell it will be good. Tastes sweeter than my apple wine.

I am pleased to say that the pear wine is really good! It is crystal clear, a golden amber color and tastes completely original and delicious. Gave a few bottles to the neighbor with the pear tree...he said "next season just take what you want, you dont have to stop and ask. And there are apple trees back there too, help yourself." And I cant wait! I kegged all but 4 bottles which I will drink while I am juicing next fall. I will revive this post then with a report on a 12 month old pear wine.

Back