Hops Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGruber

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm making my first SMaSH using 12 lbs of Maris Otter and 2 oz of Hallertauer. My question is how to do my hops schedule. I don't want it very bitter. I was thinking of .5oz at 60 min, 1oz at 30 min., and .5oz at 5 min. How does that sound? What profile do you think that will give me? I'm thinking that it'll be less bitter and more floral. Is my thinking correct?

My other option is the traditional 1 oz 60 min, .5 oz at 30 min, and .5 oz at 5 min. Since there isn't much to this recipe, I want it to come out as delicious as possible. Any advice is appreciated.

If you keep your second addition to under 20 you will get more flavor and less bitter. When I am trying to bring out hop flavor and aroma I makea 60 minute addition and then everything else goes in at 10 min and less. I just finished a SMaSH that I wanted to underscore finishing aspects of the hops with additions at 60, 7, 5 and flame out.

I agree, get yourself about 25-30 IBUs with the 60 min amount. Then do 2-3 late additions like a 10 and 2 min or like badhabit says 7,5,0
You'll get some good flavor in there

what kind of efficiency do you get? you may need to use the full 2oz at 60 to get enough IBUs (25-30ish), so you may want to grab another oz or so to add in some aromatics. I'd FWH (first wort hop) your bittering add to get a bit more hop characteristics out of the hallertauer.

Latest posts

Back