Awesome extract Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

html034

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 3942
Yeast Starter
nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
not many
Color
orange
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
nope
Additional Fermentation
nope
This recipe is one that I modified from an Austin homebrew kit (Belgian white beer). It included 6 pounds of wheat LME, and .5 oz of coriander, which I crushed. The kit included 1 oz of Ahtanum hops, use .5 oz for a 45 minute addition(45 minute boil, contrary to what it says above), the other .5 oz for a 5 minute addition. My contribution: 2 gram packet of paradise seed, which I crushed also. Add the coriander and paradise seed with 30 seconds left in the boil. Also, you will need the zest from ~6 navel oranges. I just used a cheese grater to get the rich orange part from the outside, stop when you see white. Put this zest in a nylon bag and toss it in with 15 minutes left in the boil.

I used Wyeast 3942 rather than the 3944 that is probably the more traditional selection, no starter, just pop the activator nutrient pack and toss it in. Ferment between 70 and 74 for 2 weeks and bottle this sucker with 5 oz of corn sugar. in 2 weeks you will have a very tasty refreshing wit.

I knew I forgot something :drunk:

steeping grains:

they came with the kit

.5 lb Flaked wheat
.5 lb white wheat malt
.5 lb Belgian Pilsner

I steeped at 160F for 20 min

Oh yeah, and my boil volume was 3 gallons.

I think that's everything. I really love this beer, IMO the best wit i've had.

Back