Debris in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcdirtbuggy

Reaction score
I just started useing a glass carboy as my fermenter and i now have the ability to view my beer as it does its thing so my question is, there appears to be a small chunk of something that looks like a wood chunk or something like that floating on the top. My first thought was that it's some kind of yeastie matter but i'm not sure. it's very small ( the size of a nickle or so ) and theres only one. is this anything to worry about or not?? any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

How long ago did you brew this batch? Has there been any krausen until now? Sounds like maybe tiny bubbles that form before the huge krausen and fermentation kicks in.

yeah, the fermentation is done. i'm at day 10 right now. the fermentation was strong and everything went fine with that. the chunk kind-of looks like yeast cake, just a more solid. it's the same color pretty much as the yeast cake it just looks like a nugget and it's floating on top of the brew partially submerged.

If you secondary, I would do that now and keep the "chunk" out of it. If the FG is complete, and you don't secondary.....bottling time :D! I would just ignore the chunk. It could be since the beer is still on the yeast cake there are sediment pieces floating up still. Not sure, really....just RDWHAHB

i was'nt planning on doing a secondary cause i'm making a hefeweizen and i don't like to secondary hefes but i'll be sure to leave it behind when i rack. My main concern was i just wanted to make sure i did'nt have some kind of infection, but i don't think thats the case.

Yeast Infection said:
You have an "iceberg"... of the brewing world.

I have no idea what it is...but its most likely fine.

I suppose it could be a lump of cold break material. Here's one of my recent brews with a lot of cold break floating around on top. Does it look anything like this?

137_3799.jpg

Exactly, I've just never paid too much attention to the stuff before cause i always used a plastic bucket and i could'nt see, but now i have a glass carboy and i'm noticing all sorts of interesting stuff. I guess all it is is a piece of cold break. alright well thank you all for your help and i'll be kegging this stuff tomorrow so hoefully it's as good as it smells. cheers!!

I have the answer to your question about fermentation- DON'T LOOK!

PS- This message brought to you by PUI (posting under the influence) and the number 9.

Yeah, best not to look too closely. In fact, the picture above is just the tip of the iceberg. Look at the amount of junk left over after racking that batch:

137_3800.jpg

The only important thing is that this doesn't end up in your bottles.:mug:

Back