For those of you who asked about the honey basil brew....I have a recap!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoBrewMeister

Reaction score
For those of you who have asked about this brew I have drank mostly all of the batch at this point, and like most, it seems each one is getting better and better.

Here is the recipe:
RECIPE: http://www.tastybrew.com/newrcp/detail/507

And here's what I would have done differently now that I have finished the process...

I would definitely try this as an all grain...it's much more expensive, but I think the flavor would be more true.

I would also let the wort cool some before adding the basil, and I would add them full leaved instead of chopped. Have you ever made simple syrup for mint juleps around Kentucky Derby time? To do this you need to add finely chopped mint sprigs to the sugary water and leave it overnight. This really brings out a minty flavor when mixed with Kentucky Bourbon.

Same idea here...I'd add the basil at the end of the boil...and I'd let it sit in the wort (in a bag) for a long time...I may even cover the wort to make sure it doesn't become contaminated. And then when you add the wort to your carboy I'd just filter the leaves at that point. Hopefully by letting them soak for a lot longer you'd bring out more flavor.

And that was my critique of this beer...it had some great aroma of honey and some (not much) basil. And it had almost no taste of basil...so I think I would try to get that taste by letting soak longer.

Good luck for those who try it and let me know how yours goes!

thanks for the update! I'm bottling an AG version of this brew today =) I'm not sure what you meant saying the AG version would be more expensive? My total cost for this beer (including $4 for some really nice organic basil) was under $30. Dunno, maybe extract is cheaper for you, but here in boston it's ~3.50 per #, so mashing 2-row is a lot cheaper

Back