How long to let sit in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay

Reaction score
I'm on my third batch and I just read parts of How to Brew by John Palmer. I still don't have a secondary fermenter. In his book he says it is ok to leave the beer in the primary fermenter for up to three weeks and that it will make it taste better in the long run. I'm really in no rush for this batch and wanted to know what you all think about leaving it in a primary for that long. It has been five days and there isn't any bubbles coming out of the fermenter any more so I know it can be bottled but I would like to let it sit a little longer if it will make it taste better. What do you all think? And I will relax and have a homebrew.

Thanks

Agreed, if and only if your primary is air-locked. If it's just a loose-lid bucket, then get it into bottles. Better yet, scrounge up a carboy.

Are the plastic buckets considered air-locked? The lid snaps on and you place the airlock on.

Yea I plan on buying a carboy shortly.

Sasquatch said:
Agreed, if and only if your primary is air-locked. If it's just a loose-lid bucket, then get it into bottles. Better yet, scrounge up a carboy.

Back