Which vessel to use as primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cellardoor

Reaction score
I just finished bottling my first brew and am going to brew my second today. (AHS Bavarian hefe extract kit) I have both a 6.5 gal ale pail and a 5 gal glass carboy and was wondering which to use for my primary fermenter. For my first brew i used to carboy because I wanted to see fermentation. It wasn't too bad because I only had 4 gallons of wort because of various mistakes like not compensating for evaporation during the boil and a small spill when racking to primary. This batch I'm gong to make sure I've got the full 5 gallons and the carboy seems a like too small of a head space. I'll be using a 1" blowoff tube if I'm using the carboy. Also If I was to use the ale pail there is only that small hole in the lid for an airlock. Would a blowoff tube be necessary because of the 1.5 gal of headspace? Also is a secondary necessary for a hefe since cloudiness is desirable in this style. Thanks for all the help.

You probably don't need to do a secondary, unless you want to clear the beer. I personally drink my Hefeweizens fairly early, basically 2-3 days after fermentation is complete. Not everyone does this though.

As far as fermentation vessel goes, I'd suggest using the bucket. I would normally say use a carboy and a 1" blowoff tube, but I would be assuming a 6.5 gallon carboy. I don't know what yeast you use, but most hefe yeasts are going to overwhelm the 5 gallon carboy fairly quickly. As long as the blowoff tube is connected, you are just losing kreusen, but you could be losing a lot of good yeast with it. I'd go with the bucket and a blowoff tube that fits inside the gromit. I also try to keep the temperature around 64F-66F for my hefe. That seems pretty low, but the flavor comes out great and it reduces the violence of the fermentation.

uwjester said:
I don't know what yeast you use, but most hefe yeasts are going to overwhelm the 5 gallon carboy fairly quickly.

I'm using safbrew WB-06 dry yeast. Couple more batches and i think I'll move to liquid.

Definitely the bucket. And with a hefe I would recommend a blow-off tube. Those beers can get quite vigorous.
I find you need atleast a 20% head room and 30% is better for the fermentation. Once the primary is done, if you want to do a secondary (I don't usually) then you want a fermenter that is sized to your batch. Hence the 5gal carboy. This minimizes head room and oxygen exposure on the finished beer.

Craig

Back