Yeast washing, low quantity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodland

Reaction score
I washed a batch of White Labs California Ale yeast yesterday. My yield seemed quite low per jar, just a skim along the bottom of 4 pint mason jars. If I make a starter is that enough to get things going? Maybe I should combine all 4 jars into 2 or even 1 jar to get a better quantity?

IMG_0798.jpg

Maybe you dumped most of the yeast with the trub? Or your beer was still pretty cloudy when you bottled it? All that yeast had to go somewhere...

How big was the batch? Anyway, what you have there looks like very good quality paler (younger) yeast. Over 4 jars it looks a decent amount for the quality. Your starter really depends on what you will be brewing next.

I did dump a good amount with the trub, I was starting to get a lot of the bottom crap when I poured, so I figured I had all the good live yeast already in the jars. It came from a standard 5 gallon batch, 3-week primary. I plan on doing a high-gravity ale next. Not sure what amount will be sufficient for starting another 5 gallon batch of ale, 1,2, or all 4 jars?

Well, I did my best fudging some numbers with the mrmalty pitching rate calculator. Assuming your yeast density matches the default settings, and Jamil claims most do, you would need about 50mL to equal the 100 billion cells a fresh vial of yeast would give you. Do you have a way of measuring 50mL of water and adding it to a new mason jar for comparison's sake?

Back