glass vs plastic carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit77

Reaction score
I`ve only brew beer a few time and I`ve brew them in two cheap plastic 5 gallon water carboys, really had no problem. What I`ve done was split the batch in the two carboys, cap it with a air lock. Just woundering if I should get glass carboy for sanitation reason. And does plastic, in the long run give a bad taste in the beer?

To clean my plastic carboys I leave it sit in sanitation salution for 20 to 30min then rinse it out 3 to 4 time in hot water.

Is it ok to mix ( beer, wine, ...) in the same plastic carboys.

thanks

Here are my thoughts. #1 While many people use food grade plastic buckets for fermenting, They scratch easily and without you knowing you could have a contamination even after sanitizing. Also, plastic water bottles are very porous (microscopically) and will eventually be contaminated. Always best to go with glass if at all possible.

#2 There is usually no need to rinse after sanitizing. After using cleaner like oxyclean yes, but not sanitizer. Most say no rinse on the bottle, and in reality, if you're not rinsing with sterile water then you're recontaminating.

If you like plastic, I'd recommend Better Bottles. They are specifically designed for fermenting beer and wine. The price is comparable with glass carboys (depending on where you buy).

Regular plastic bottles might work OK, but they are made of a different type plastic which may let oxygen into the beer.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Glass_Carboy_vs_Better_Bottle

Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you - just one word.
Ben: Yes sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Ben: Yes I am.
Mr. McGuire: 'Plastics.'
Ben:
Exactly how do you mean?
Mr. McGuire: There's a great future in plastics.
Think about it.
Will you think about it?
Ben: Yes I will.
Mr. McGuire: Shh! Enough said. That's a deal.

You can also replace the word "Plastics" with "Search"

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't scrub your plastic carboys then they won't scratch.

If you have crud that won't come off soak your carboy for 24 hours in warm water and oxyclean free or PBW.

As far as gas permeablilty I think it's a non issue for primary fermentation. After all the yeast is producing co2 from the sugar so any pressure will be positive pressure on the inside of the primary. So any gas should be going toward the lower pressure which will be out of the primary not into it. But if you are worried I'd keep the wort in your plastic fermenters for no more than a week to and then transfer it to a secondary.

There are problems with glass as well.
1. It's heavy.
2. It's fragile.
3. I've read where people have been severely cut by glass shards when the carboys shatter.
4. They are clear and let light in.

I think the best secondary you could buy is neither glass nor plastic but rather a stainless steel corny keg which can be purchased for about the same price as a glass carboy or better bottle.

I can't see where it would matter whether you had wine or beer in the carboy as long as it's cleaned good.

Back