next book to read?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengerman

Reaction score
I'm looking for a book to read about brewing and to kill some time.
I brew all grain, I've done some recipe formulation and I have a pretty good handle on the process of brewing. I've read the free online version of Palmers book and designing great beers, and I'd like either some more in-depth brew science or historical recipes and techniques. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Ya me too, I had to go to the browser to get the link. I wish I could link to a "mobile" version of the thread for you.

Brewing Better Beer is ok. I have not finished it. Frankly, it's nothing about extract, and has some pretty advanced AG techniques and advice unless you hang out here. Most of it is the same stuff you know and discuss on the different websites.

He throws in some personal opinion and of course as much as he's won the big prizes you have to respect that.

I haven't got it yet, but I've heard there is a great book on yeast. I think Chris Colby is the author?? Stan H. I've heard writes some interesting stuff.
For fun, I recommend Mosher's Tasting Beer, or Radical Brewing. He's a fabulous author IMO, and covers beer and brewing with an interesting flair.

No book improved my brewing more than Radical Brewing by randy mosher. It really got me to think about brewing and ingredients differently. It is also a really interesting read.

I really like Designing Great Beers. It reads a little like a text book in places. Some math and chemistry as well. but its an amazing reference guide. I always have it with me on brew day. Love it..

If you're already doing AG, I hear that Gordon Strong's new book Brewing Better Beer, is a really good "next step" read.

I really like Designing Great Beers. It reads a little like a text book in places. Some math and chemistry as well. but its an amazing reference guide. I always have it with me on brew day. Love it..

I did like Gordon's book, however I found he simplified too many areas where I wanted him to go deeper. Would "designing great beers" be a more technical follow-on to Gordon's or along the same path?

I havent read Gordons book so I cant telly you. I do find DGB to be pretty techincal but not so much so that its impossible to read. I have certainly gone back and re-read chapters several times. Its the type of book that you will always be able to use. Thats my opinion anyways.

it was a great read. :p

The Brewmaster's Table is a great book about beer. Not really homebrewing exactly, but it has some great historical information in it.

The first half is dedicated to the history of beer and the author's adventures in pairing beer with food. The second half is a more encyclopedic rundown of almost every beer style imaginable with details on that style's history, what makes it unique, good commercial brands to try and food pairings.

I highly recommend it, and it looks great out on my coffee table.

If you like Stone, why not try the new Stone book? It has a ton of stories about Stone and recipes to book.
I really enjoyed Brew Like a Monk and Farmhouse Ales. I have yet to read Wild Brews, but it's on my list. Designing Great Beers and Radical Brewing were ok, but having listened to countless hours of The Brewing Network, I'd heard the vast majority of the information in those two books already and didn't learn too much more. I do enjoy the history of brewing quite a bit, so maybe that's why I liked the first two mentioned a bit more than the latter two. Just my opinion. :)

Also, finishing up Heretics of Dune, once again. :)

Cheers!

I havent read Gordons book so I cant telly you. I do find DGB to be pretty techincal but not so much so that its impossible to read. I have certainly gone back and re-read chapters several times. Its the type of book that you will always be able to use. Thats my opinion anyways.

+1 to this.

I'm the kind of guy that likes to do the math of brewing with paper and pencil, and this helps me out all the time.

When brewing I use it to double check my math, and, when that is finished I look at the back half of the book and read about the history of whatever I'm brewing

i read designing great beers a few months ago and love it. my only problem with it is that i bought the digital version and im kicking myself for doing it. ill be buying the paper version shortly because of all the material i would like to reference for future brews.

im in the process of reading yeast right now and really like it. radical brewing is my next book

Brewing Better Beer definitely helped me out a lot. Designing Great Beers helped me learn about what ingredients do what. In addition to books I have been picking up back issues of Brew Your Own and have found them to be extremely helpful for the price, 2.50 for a back issues was their sale recently.

Back