Diastatic Power of Toasted 2-Row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lou

Reaction score
I was just curious if the diastatic power of 2-row is lessened (or eliminated altogether) by toasting the grain. So, if I were to do a mini-mash with a pound of toasted 2-row and a lb or 2 of other specialty grains, would i need additional 2-row to convert the toasted 2-row or is the toasted 2-row at least powerful enough to convert itself?
i would think that the high temperatures would probably denature the amylases...

I don't think the diastatic power is eliminated at most toasts (I've never done this, much less measured the diastatic power!). I'm positive it will decrease at some rate (linear, exponential, who knows?!) as toast increases, but at a light toast I'd guess it's fairly negligible.

Lou said:
i would think that the high temperatures would probably denature the amylases...

They would if there would be more water in the grains. Since they are dry they can stand pretty high temperatures. Dark Munich is pretty heavily toasted, but can still be used to 100% in the grist. Make sure you don't burn the grain and you should be fine.

I'd still recommend an iodine test though ;)

Kai

Back