First Sour/Bad Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrier

Reaction score
Well.. I guess it had to happen... maybe not..

But I switched to buckets because of a glass carboy explosion.

Anyway, I do not think it was the bucket. I think it was the when I came home from dinner after I pitched the yeast.. and the 3pc airlock got blocked and the top of both buckets lost the seal.. the pressure blew them both open. I dunno how long they sat open.. but I am guessing . 2-3 hours.

My point is .. I guess... that when people ask... "is my batch bad" ? Trust me you will know.. the smell .. man it is SOUR. And smell is still lingering in the house.
The sides of the bucket as the beer drained .. had a white film that was very gross indeed.

Oh well 5 hours and 10gals gone. It was a nice Pale too.

Not proud or embarrassed .. just sharing. Kinda of pissed cause this was going to be my beer for our july 4th trip to Port A.
Or well Live and learn.

2621708002_5b75915aee_b.jpg

How did the airlock get "blocked"? Why did the batch "sour"? I'm new to brewing. My first batch is almost done fermenting now. I opened her up for a hydro reading and it smells great! Just like Sierra Nevada! I'm worried because I don't want to contaminate my beer during the readings and have what happened to you happen to my precious gift from the gods =).

Latest posts

Back