How to physically insert and remove dry hops from 6 gallon carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweaker

Reaction score
I typically schedule my brews so that I recycle the yeast cake with a similar or darker beer for at least 2-3 batches. I start with a dry yeast packet.

So I prefer to keep as much of the hops out of that cake by using muslin hop bags.

?????
How do I insert the hop pellets into a carboy for 5 days and then remove them? I might could stuff them in the neck, but I will not be able to get them out via a muslin bag.

The only solution I can think of is to just toss them in the carboy 5 days before bottling, but most of the hops will remain in the cake, foiling my plans and tainting the next batch.

You shouldn't have much of a problem cramming a muslin bag of hop pellets into the carboy for dry hopping. To get them out you could fish the bag out with a coat hanger or something similar after racking to bottle/keg. Careful not to scratch your carboy with the coat hanger if it is a plastic carboy. It will take some tugging to get the bag out because it will be full of swollen hops.

Or you could just throw the dry hops in loose, cold crash after 5 days, and not worry about it. It won't taint your next batch.

Ive found you cant really use the bags for carboys. You can cram them in but after they expand, its impossible to get them out without cutting the bag open with scissors. I just toss them in naked and let them settle. Its colder out now, just leave it outside overnight before packaging

"cold crash after 5 days, and not worry about it. It won't taint your next batch."

Are the hops that remain in the yeast cake "played out" or exhausted of any ability to impart qualities to the next batch or wort placed on top?

I did not think that would be the case.

I wouldnt re-use the yeast cake + hop trub from one batch to another. If you leave dry hops in too long, it can impart a vegetal taste which can be unpleasant. I woudl think fermenting an entire beer on hop of used hops would do this

"cold crash after 5 days, and not worry about it. It won't taint your next batch."

Are the hops that remain in the yeast cake "played out" or exhausted of any ability to impart qualities to the next batch or wort placed on top?

I did not think that would be the case.

From my experience, it doesn't really matter. I transfer 100% of the kettle trub (including hops) into the fermenter, throw my dry hops in loose, and harvest yeast by dumping the cake into sanitized mason jars (a la WoodlandBrew).

One option you have is to wash your yeast cake, this should allow the heavier hop particles to settle out while the yeast remains in suspension, you then decant the suspended yeast into another container, leaving the hop trub behind.

How do you "wash the yeast cake?"

Thanks for the replies, guiz!

I suppose another option is to move to a secondary carboy, and do the dry hopping in that, then bottle in 5 days.

Ive found you cant really use the bags for carboys. You can cram them in but after they expand, its impossible to get them out without cutting the bag open with scissors. I just toss them in naked and let them settle. Its colder out now, just leave it outside overnight before packaging

I disagree.. I dry hop in a 6 gallon PET carboy. I use one gallon paint strainer bags. You must use a separate bag for each ounce of hops. After racking the beer out, turn the carboy upside down, reach in with your finger and get hold of a bag and pull it out. It is tight, but they do come out.

I suppose another option is to move to a secondary carboy, and do the dry hopping in that, then bottle in 5 days.

If you want to use the yeast cake for your next batch this is really your best option. Plus you can get your next batch on the yeast while the first is in dry hop mode.

yeah I would think you could squeeze 1oz out the neck. Im just not a fan of having to use 6 damn bags for just dry hopping my IPAs

Yeast washing tutorial. I didn't think about using a secondary (because I never do), but that is another (perhaps the best) viable option of keeping hop trub out of your yeast.

Latest posts

Back